Bringing issues of the border to light through creative passions

Collegian | Cambria Gifford

Vicente Delgado checks the lettering of his T-shirt design while washing the paint in the Visual Arts Building Jan. 22.

Cambria Gifford, Photographer

“Every morning we wake up, open the door, and we can actually see Mexico,” Vicente Delgado said, describing his family home in El Paso, Texas. Delgado’s house sits only 10 minutes from the border, and Delgado explained that this close proximity was a heavy influence in the making of his piece “Greetings.”

Delgado’s artwork depicts the familiar façade of a gas station postcard — these glossy designs can be found sending greetings from cities across the U.S. But the distinction between a regular postcard and Delgado’s interpretation lies within the letters of the word “border.” Each letter contains an artistic representation of true stories about the injustices surrounding the immigration process into America.

These stories begin at “B,” showing a 10-year-old Guatemalan boy abandoned in the middle of a desert; later on, “D,” showing Melania Trump’s controversial jacket donning the words “I really don’t care, do you?” that she wore for a visit to the border; and ending with “R,” showing two young girls crumpled at the bottom of the 14-foot barrier a patrol agent had just flung them over.

Delgado said he chose this subject as his premise because he couldn’t ignore the stories he learned while living next door to the border.

“I want to bring awareness,” Delgado said. “We just hear numbers (in Colorado).” Delgado wishes these numbers were accompanied by details of the tragedies that continue to befall many immigrants in hopes of calling attention to their rampant mistreatment. After graduating from Colorado State University with his master’s in printmaking, Delgado plans to return to El Paso and begin a career teaching his passion to others.

• Vicente Delgado, first generation graduate art student, spends his time in the art studio at Colorado State University to deliver an impactful message through printmaking Jan. 22.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Vicente Delgado perfects the lettering on his T-shirt design in the Visual Arts Building Jan. 22. Slow and steady steps are necessary for the product to accurately transfer, so time dedication to the project is Delgado’s focus.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Vicente Delgado closely observes the lettering of his T-shirt design through the light in the Visual Arts Building Jan. 22.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Vicente Delgado applies paint to a T-shirt design in the Visual Arts Building Jan. 22. As a first generation graduate student, he transforms personal experience to creative crafts like photography, drawing or painting.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Vicente Delgado scrapes paint across his design to imprint on the T-shirt beneath in the Visual Arts Building Jan. 22.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Vicente Delgado examines his T-shirt print after the transfer of paint in the Visual Arts Building Jan. 22.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Vicente Delgado prepares a vat of acid in Colorado State University’s printmaking studio Jan. 22. For printing, a multitude of chemicals are used, so Delgado used appropriate gear to protect himself in the process.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Vicente Delgado checks the lettering of his T-shirt design while washing the paint in the Visual Arts Building Jan. 22.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Vicente Delgado’s studio in the Visual Arts Building at Colorado State University Jan. 22. The black-and-white photos inspired his visions to express the U.S./Mexico border’s current situations by printing pictures on various fabrics.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Courtesy photo provided by Vicente Delgado

Collegian | Vicente Delgado

Collegian | Vicente Delgado

Collegian | Vicente Delgado
  • Vicente Delgado sits with his piece “The Border” in an art studio in the Visual Arts Building Jan. 22.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford