Must-see movies coming out over winter break

Matthew Smith

As you visit home this winter break, you may find yourself stuck inside with nothing to do. With so much free time, this is the best month of the year to see a movie. Especially this season, with blockbusters like “Rogue One” and triple-A dramas like “Silence” gracing screens in the coming weeks. Here is a list of movies you will not want to miss:

La La Land

Release date: 12/16

La La Land.jpg
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

To top off the already impressive list above is this certified fresh romantic comedy from the writer and director of “Whiplash.” This love story between a jazz pianist and an aspiring actress has been called by some critics to be the movie to revive the romantic comedy genre.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Release date: 12/16

Rogue One.jpg
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

It is finally here. Not Episode VIII, but the spin-off buffer movie to watch in the meantime until that releases. A prequel to the original trilogy and sequel to the prequel trilogy, “Rogue One” is the story of the early rebel alliance campaigning to steal the plans to the Death Star. Darth Vader is sure to make his return debut.

Passengers

Release date: 12/21

Passengers.jpg
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

Freshly minted star Chris Pratt will star alongside Jenifer Lawrence in this twisty sci-fi adventure romance. A malfunction on a transport vessel bound for a distant human colony causes two passengers to wake up from their stases 90 years too early. But, as the trailer alludes, their situation is not all as it seems.

Why Him?

Release date: 12/23

Why Him.jpg
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

This is one of the few true comedies coming out this winter worth mentioning. In the tradition of the classics like “Meet The Parents,” father Bryan Cranston forms a bitter rivalry with his daughter’s rich boyfriend played by James Franco. Warning: This may likely be a flop. Watch at your own risk.

Paterson

Release date: 12/28

Paterson.jpg
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

This will be the third movie of the season to include Adam Driver. Paterson, a bus driver with a penchant for poetry, observes daily life and its people in this quirky Forest Gump-esque drama. This is one to take a date to.

“Silence”

Release date: 1/6

Silence.jpg
Photo courtesy of imdb.com

While “Silence” will drop much later in the break, Martin Scorsese’s next Oscar-mongering drama epic should definitely be seen. A pair of 17th Century Jesuit monks, played by Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver, travel to feudal Japan on a quest to find their teacher.