Breaking down the ACT Human Rights Film Festival

The film maker Maisie Crow (left) doing a post-film Q&A after her film Jackson during the ACT Human Rights Film Festival 2017 Photo credit: Christian Johnson

Over the course of nine days, the Communications Studies Department will introduce students to 13 feature-length films and several short films to bring their attention to human rights issues around the world. To help you decide which films to attend, we’ve compiled a breakdown of the festival’s events:

Student Short Film Selection – April 5- Eddy 212- 6:00 p.m.

Each year, ACT chooses about eight short films created by students across the nation to feature in their festival. This year’s films average about five minutes each, according to Carol Busch, the director of marketing and publicity for the festival. This showing is free, as is the pizza that will be served afterward.

“The Other Side of Everything” – April 6- LSC Theater- 5:00 p.m.

This film details the story of a Serbian family that served as political activists in the 1970s. The film is directed by Mila Turajilic, the daughter of Sbrijanka, the subject of the film. Both women will be present for a Q & A after the showing.

“Freedom for the Wolf” – April 6- LSC Theater- 8:00 p.m.

This film, shot over three years in five different countries, tells a timely story of individuals around the globe fighting against elected officials that have proved to carry little regard for human rights. Several of the film’s producers will be present for a post-showing discussion.

“A Memory in Khaki” – April 7- The Lyric- 12:30 p.m.

This particular film expands on the narrative of the Syrian crisis. It tells the stories of the “years of silence, fear and terror” that led to the revolution currently occurring in Syria. The film’s producer will be in attendance and engage in discussion after the showing.

“Dead Donkeys Fear no Hyenas” – April 7- The Lyric- 3:45 p.m.

One of the film’s subjects will be present to discuss a story of stealing land and evicting those living on it. The land discussed in the film is farmland in Ethiopia, a commodity apparently too hot for the government to keep up with.

“Minding the Gap” – April 7- The Lyric- 8:00 p.m.

Presented by the Department of interdisciplinary liberal arts presents the story of economic recession and oppression through the lens of skateboarders. One of the skaters will be present in addition to a producer of the film.

“Mama Colonel” – April 8- Lincoln Center- 1:00 p.m.

This film details the story of Honorine Manyole–who will be present, along with the film’s director. Manyole served with the Congolese police force to fight against sexual violence and to protect minors.

“Anote’s Ark” – April 8- Lincoln Center- 4:00 p.m.

The department of philosophy presents this film; a story of a small island nation known as Kiribati. The nation has only 100,000 citizens but suffers greatly from rising sea levels.

“Crime + Punishment” – April 8- Lincoln Center- 7:00 p.m.

Injustice within America’s police force has become a widely debated topic in recent years, and this film will continue that discussion. Following the stories of several wrongly-accused individuals, the film focuses on “whistleblowers”–those who wish to stop the injustice. Two of the film’s subjects will be present.

“Nowhere to Hide” – April 10- The Lyric- 6:30 p.m.

There is an area of central Iraq called the “triangle of death.” It’s called that because of the severe inaccessibility. This film details the story of Nori Sharif, a nurse in the area that must flee when ISIS makes their presence known.

Chenga de Fiu Fiu” – April 13- The Lyric- 4:30 p.m.

The director, subject, and director of photography will be present to discuss their film centering on the physical and verbal harassment–specifically catcalling–that Brazilian women must face on a daily basis.

“Complicit” – April 13- The Lyric- 7:30 p.m.

This picture tells the story of Yi Yeting, a worker that contracted leukemia while assembling smartphones. Yeting brings his case to Silicon Valley to confront the corporations guilty for his condition. The film’s director, Heather White, will be present.

“69 Minutes of 86 Days” – April 14- LSC Theater- 3:30 p.m.

Another tale of refuge, this film follows a family with a young 3-year-old girl as they make their way to safety in Sweden from Syria.

“RUMBLE: The Indians Who Rocked the World” – April 14- LSC Theater- 6:30 p.m.

Rock music has been studied and dissected over and over again, and it seems that each time, a new influence is discovered and brought to light. One such influence that has been commonly overlooked is that of Native Americans. The story is told by several modern rock musicians, and the film’s producers will be in attendance to engage in discussion. The film will be followed by a concert displaying music similar to the music discussed in the film and will feature Cary Morin and Pura Fé.

A full schedule and purchasable tickets can be found at actfilmfest.colostate.edu.

Collegian reporter Nate Day can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @NateMDay