Collegian playlist: 12 songs to get you through the rest of midterms week

Students studying at a cafe table with drinks | Photo courtesy of Static pixels

It’s the eighth week of the semester. We all need some motivation, so here are 12 songs to help you get through the rest of the week: 

“Survivor” by Destiny’s Child: A fairly conventional choice, but can you think of a better way to celebrate life than jamming out to Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and the third one who barely counts? Probably not. Plus, it’s a great break up anthem, so it’s got that going for it.

“Unstoppable” by Sia: On this track, Sia belts it out, singing about armor, cars, not needing batteries and Porches, so it definitely qualifies for this list. Use it to get hyped before a test, an interview, a presentation or just to get through a Monday.

“We Will Rock You” by Queen: You get it.

“Girl on Fire” by Alicia Keys: Whether you identify as a girl or not, this jam is going to get you pumped. The lyrics even talk about how attractive you are. Feel it, sing it, be it.

“Stand” by Lenny Kravitz: A true rock idol, good ol’ Lenny’s given us hits for a few decades now, and this is one of his most fun songs. Ideally, it’d be on every playlist ever made, but it’ll do on this one for now.

“Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and The Waves: Some days, you feel up, others, you feel down. This song immediately makes it an “up” day if it isn’t already. Not to mention, who wouldn’t want to try walking on sunshine?

“River Deep, Mountain High” by Ike & Tina Turner: A pounding jam about how much love one can possibly feel is sure to give you warm fuzzies. Plus it’s got that signature Tina Turner quality that makes her catalog so irresistible. 

“Jump” by Van Halen: Nobody exactly knows what this song is about besides jumping, but we all know it’s good. David Lee Roth & co. really knew how to produce a foot-tapper, if not an all-out booty shaker.

“Fighter” by Christina Aguilera: Talk about girl power. This power-jam is all about making it through times because of said tough times, and we can all relate to that. Also, it’s probably a law that you have to listen to this song at least once a yearor it should be.

“Don’t Stop” by Fleetwood Mac: You probably thought you were about to read about how Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin'” is the perfect song for the billionth time, but this one’s even better. A song about not giving up and looking forward to tomorrow is exactly what we could all use right now.

“Tightrope” by Janelle Monae: This has to be one of the most infectious songs of the last decade. Crooning about how you’ve got to be careful not to fall off your path is not only motivational but also relatable. 10 points to Janelle.

“Get on Your Feet” by Gloria Estefan: Throwing it back to the ’80s one last time to bring it home. Estefan is known for her dance-inspiring songs throughout her whole career, and if you’re a fan of “Parks & Recreation,” you’ll recognize this one. You can’t not feel great when Estefan literally tells you to get up and get your stuff done.

Collegian reporter Nate Day can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @NateMDay