April Fools: Simply Cooking: Sweet or savory pudding

In this edition of Simply COOKING, Sus Sierra divulges her secret recipe for a special dish. (Graphic by First Mate Corndog)

Sus Sierra, Chef Pirate

Editor’s NoteThis is a satire for April Fools’ Day. Real names and the events surrounding them may be used in fictitious/semi-fictitious ways. Those who do not read the editor’s notes are subject to being offended.

Desserts. They can be a delicious end to any meal, no matter the time of day, event or holiday. They are necessary for complimenting your pallet, almost like a digestion P-A-L. However, this dessert can go both ways on the sweet or savory scale. It all depends on the toppings you add, but if you want something savory, it can also be delicious on its own. 

For your next dessert, housewarming gift or birthday celebration, why not whip up Mayo Pudding. This condiment and/or sauce is an incredibly versatile element, and it’s one of the easiest and most unique recipes we’ve created yet. Though if you would like to go a step further with more love in your cooking, making a fresh batch of mayonnaise would be so kind. That’s precisely what we are going to do today. 

I believe when it comes to cooking for yourself — or especially for others — creating something from the heart goes much further, and you can taste it in the food too. It’s almost a hug but in food form. If you feel down, homesick or need some comfort, this dish will provide nothing but love while making your taste buds dance. 

Ingredients: 

• 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard 
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar 
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup canola oil 
  • Optional toppings: Oreos, gummy bears, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, whipped cream, maraschino cherries, Sriracha sauce and mini pickles

Directions: 

1. In a blender, crack egg and hand-mix for 20 seconds. 
  2. Add Dijon, vinegar, salt and lemon juice. Blend for 20 seconds. 
  3. Once all ingredients are combined, add oil. Blend for another 20 seconds. 
  4. Taste test and add more lemon juice, salt or vinegar to taste. 
  5. Add toppings and enjoy!

The toppings are the best part for completing your dessert, and I suggest having at least one topping. As previously stated, you can eat this pudding alone if you crave something more savory. However, if you want to let your inner child out, these toppings altogether are suggested as they compliment all the ingredients, especially the Dijon mustard. 

Top it with Oreos, gummy bears, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, Sriracha sauce and mini pickles. It sounds like a lot, but it is genuinely a delicious balance of spicy, sweet and savory that’s a party in your mouth. On top of everything, don’t forget to add a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.

Reach The Pirates of the Collegian reporter Sus Sierra at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @SJG_CSU.