April Fools: Pitbull to speak at commencement after Ramapalooza absence

Collegian | Piratish Lambino

The Administration Building prepares for the commencement speech from none other than Mr. Worldwide March 29. He is qualified to give the speech because he has been there, done that.

Kato Babadook, Pitbull Enthusiast

Editor’s NoteThis is a satire for April Fools’ Day. Real names and the events surrounding them may be used in fictitious/semi-fictitious ways. Those who do not read the editor’s notes are subject to being offended.

After Colorado State University addressed rumors, telling its students Pitbull would not perform at Ramapalooza in 2021, the University confirmed he will instead speak at spring commencement.

Graduating seniors can expect the musician, also known as Mr. Worldwide, to speak at all three days of commencement ceremonies. With the help of a variety of campus offices, Pitbull will also perform, providing four days of joy to CSU students who enjoy his music or persona.

“I hated that my fans were disappointed (in August), and I wanted to show them a good time,” Pitbull said. “I want to remind them to stay humble going into the world.”

The Ramapalooza rumor spread from Barstool CSU through their social media in a post that said free food and prizes would be offered along with a Pitbull concert. As a result, students flocked to Ramapalooza as it returned in person at CSU in 2021.

“We’re excited to reward students for their hard work over the years,” RamEvents Director Joseph Jonathan said. “While we typically have students or community leaders speak at commencement, Mr. Worldwide was really adamant on speaking this year.”

CSU President Joyce McConnell announced Pitbull’s planned speech via email, asking students to avoid wearing bald caps, a common trend for young people seeing Pitbull in concert.

“It is a great honor for Colorado State University to host Pitbull, and our administration is excited to meet with him as we accommodate his stay in Fort Collins this May,” McConnell said in her email.

In addition to speaking at commencement, Pitbull will also perform at Canvas Stadium on May 12, the Thursday before commencement. He said he hopes students will come out and party with him and their fellow Rams and maybe skip Ram Band that week. Tickets to the event start at $50 with a student discount of 15%.

“Come out and turn the negatives into a positive,” Pitbull said. “Turn the negatives into a positive on Thursday — these past few years have been hard, and it’s time to let loose.”

Pitbull also said he plans to cover Flo Rida’s “Low,” which is known for the lyrics, “apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur. The whole club was lookin’ at her.” The rest of the songs will be Pitbull’s originals, but he’s excited to cover the song and bring some joy to students who grew up hearing it.

Pitbull, like other regular college commencement speakers, is a philanthropist with involvement in the Miami Children’s Health Foundation and poverty alleviation organizations. The rapper was honored with a degree from Florida’s Doral College in 2014, where he spoke previously at a commencement to address his own struggles with poverty and getting kicked out of public school.

Reach Pirate of the Collegian Kato Babadook at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @KotaBabcock.