4 local chocolate finds to battle a lonely Valentine’s Day

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, everyone is looking for that warm and fuzzy feeling. 

Luckily, there is no romance necessary when there is chocolate involved. If you’re looking for butterflies in your stomach, throw your diet out the door and look no further than these Fort Collins finds. 

Whether you’ll be joined by a special someone, a group of pals or a bottle of wine and a tissue box this Valentine’s Day, these sweet treats will be sure to have you falling in love. 

Here are four decadent chocolate finds all around Fort Collins to try out during the sweetheart season. 

1. Literally anything from Nuance 

If you’re a local chocolate snob looking for quality, it doesn’t get better than Nuance. A true and pure bean to bar chocolate maker, Nuance makes all of their chocolate from scratch, and you can tell from just one taste. From truffles, bars, hot chocolate and even sampler flights, Nuance is the cream of the crop for a chocolate-tasting escapade. The flavorings are natural, savory and never-ending in choices. 

Nuance offers gift boxes that are sure to win you brownie points and woo your valentine. It is also a great choice for any dairy restricted diets since they have plenty of dairy-free chocolates to choose from. Walking into Nuance is walking into a heavenly indulgence of sweet satisfaction, and you’ll have a difficult time not comparing any other chocolate to what is offered at this gem of a shop.

2. Hot mocha from Bindle Coffee 

If coffee is the true love of your life and a book sounds like the perfect snuggle buddy this Valentine’s Day, Bindle offers a delicious mocha that will make both your coffee and chocolate dreams come true. It is sweet but not overpowering, and it gives you the boost of energy you need as the semester slowly strips you of motivation.

Homemade daily, Bindle’s baked goods are a superb pair to this delectable mocha. If you’re anti-Valentine’s Day, escaping from the cheesy decor of chain chocolate shops into the warm, cozy solitude that is Bindle Coffee may be exactly what your heart is yearning for.

3. Chocolate caramel pie from Ginger and Baker

Ginger and Baker reigns queen of handmade bakery items, and a slice of this chocolate caramel pie should be first on your to-eat list. Taking a bite of this Oreo crusted pie with layers of chewy caramel, chocolate caramel mousse and a chocolate caramel ganache almost counts as an out of body experience.

This heavy, rich and creamy pie satisfies your salty cravings in the Oreo crust while smothering on the sweet with its rich chocolate and caramel fillings. This is one of those “I need to stop eating because my stomach hurts, but I can’t seem to stop” type of treats. Your body might regret it, but your taste buds will soon be asking for more. Once again, Ginger and Baker never fails to meet all of your seasonal, aesthetic desires with pink hearts and sprinkles drizzled on top of the pie.

4. Chocolate covered strawberries and decadent apples from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory has just about all things chocolate and more, including truffles, fudge and bark. However, the chocolate covered fruit is what is setting this chocolate shop apart. 

You can’t get more classic than a deliciously chocolate dunked strawberry, and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory definitely doesn’t disappoint. These plump berries are oozing with juice, dripping out of the thick chocolate shell. Available in milk, dark and white chocolate, it’s a safe and slightly healthier choice — it is fruit, right? 

The candied apples at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory don’t mess around either. With dozens of options, including a Valentine’s Day edition, these apples have a layer of chocolate so thick you’d think you would need a power tool to bite through them (in the best way possible). With loads of toppings to choose from, you’ll have trouble finding one you won’t be a fan of.

Erin McCarthy can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com