A caffeine addict’s guide to Fort Collins

Do the magic beans have you hooked? 

As the semester heats up and the weather cools down, there are plenty of local coffee roasters and baristas to fulfill your caffeine needs. They also provide a cozy atmosphere for a morning wake-up, study session or a chill date with friends. Fort Collins boasts a couple of talented roasters, bakeshops and tea houses that will fill up your cup with warmth and love to get you through the end of the semester.

Door of coffee shop
Bindle Coffee is independently run with coffee purchased through Direct Trade  and pastries made fresh from scratch daily. Oct. 27. (Alyssa Uhl | The Collegian)

Bindle Coffee

Bindle takes its motto “Sit + Savor” to heart. Starting with ethically sourced beans, Bindle roasts the beans to perfection and curates their shop’s atmosphere to match. As a part Jessup Farm, the independent shop is perfectly located for shopping, eating and lounging while enjoying a wonderfully prepared drink by one of the master baristas. 

Harbinger Coffee

With a friendly staff, addicting coffee and fun specials — try the Smokey Bear latte before it leaves at the end of October — there is no doubt why Harbinger is a local favorite. Starting small as a roaming coffee cart, Harbinger now has two locations, one on Mason and the other on East Harmony. If your timing is right, you can watch as they masterfully roast their own beans at their Harmony location.

Coffee cup
Harbinger Coffee was founded in 2012 by Jonathan Jarrow and now has two locations in the Fort Collins area. The featured fall seasonal latte is the “Smokey Bear,” a latte made with black walnut extract, honey, cinnamon and a touch of hickory smoke. Oct. 27. (Alyssa Uhl | The Collegian)

Bean Cycle  

With good music, plentiful seating and a large selection of locally roasted coffees, Bean Cycle is a prime destination for a caffeine-infused study session. Opened by three Colorado State University alumni and located on College Avenue, Bean Cycle is a Fort Collins staple. Visit their Facebook page for upcoming events, such as poetry slams, swing dancing and local artisan pop-ups. 

Little Bird Bakeshop

A great coffee date certainly isn’t complete without a shared baked good. For that, Little Bird has you covered. A staple of Old Town Square, Little Bird’s pastries and treats are made with love by master pastry chef Amy Corliss. This location is perfect for a light brunch and good conversation. Enjoy a cup of coffee, roasted by Harbinger, and a slice of their not-so-average toast.  

Ku Cha House of Tea

A compilation of Fort Collins caffeine would not be complete without mentioning one of Old Town’s great tea houses. With a large variety of teas, from matcha to blooming Ba Bao Cha, Ku Cha has it all. Stop into the store and pick up a bag to go, or order a tea latte with a tea of your choosing for enjoying in-house. Conveniently located on College Avenue, it is a perfect stop for a hot beverage on a chilly, winter day. 

Lauryn Bolz can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @laurynbolz.