PRISM brings Broadway to CSU with ‘Drag! The Musical!’

Detailed as one of the largest university drag shows in Colorado, The Colorado State University Drag Show is putting on their annual showing Sunday in the Grand Ballroom of the Lory Student Center at 6 p.m. “Drag! The Musical!” will feature performances including, but not limited to, Trey Suits, Jessica L’Whor, Evelyn Evermoore and Felony Misdemeanor. The event will also host a special guest, Shea Couleé from RuPaul’s Drag Race season 9.

PRISM, the organization in charge of the event, is LGBTQ inclusive and focuses on bringing students of all walks of sexuality together in an effort to educate and connect students on campus.

“We put on the drag show every semester in hopes to give our students the opportunity to express themselves through the art of drag,” said Lola Gag, head director and producer of PRISM. “While predominately a homosexual art form, we encourage all students to strap on some heels and lip sync to their favorite Lady Gaga song no matter their sexuality.”

The show is free to attend and open to all ages, but tips received will support the Pride Resource Center, which is located in the LSC in room 232. Gag says that showgoers are encouraged to bring dollar bills to tip the performers during the numbers. The doors open at 5 p.m., but since seats go fast, it is encouraged to get there as soon as possible, as people begin lining up as early as 1 p.m.

“Students can expect a show-stopping and brilliant show, filled to the brim with amazing talent, emotional performances and incredible dancing,” Gag said. “We expect that this show will be one of the best that we have put on yet.”

The event is sponsored by the Residence Hall Association, Associated Students of CSU, Event Planning Services, RamEvents and the Pride Resource Center to provide drag shows such as this one.

PRISM meets Thursdays at 6:15 p.m. in room 386 in the LSC.

Lyra Wiley can be reached at entertainment@collegian or on Twitter @lyra_wiley