Basic is back: 9 pumpkin spice treats found in Fort Collins for fall

As the weather cools down, the season heats up with a little extra ‘spice’ per sip. This fall, Fort Collins is jumping on the basic b*tch train, with many cafes and pastry shops offering their own take on the pumpkin spice trend.

Here are nine of the best pumpkin spice flavored products Fort Collins residents can find in town this year.  

Mugs at the Oval offers a pumpkin spice latte for the fall season. (Davis Bonner | Collegian)

Pumpkin Spice Latte from Mugs

At $3.80 per small cup, this beverage is a fall staple at Mugs. For folks who prefer a stronger coffee flavor, this latte will not disappoint. Those who really want to get in the spirit of Fall might want to try a different option though, as the pumpkin-spice flavoring may be a bit fainter than its competitors.

Rate: 6.5/10

Pumpkin Cheesecake Donut from Peace, Love and Little Donuts of Fort Collins

Pumpkin spice is one of three fall offerings from Peace Love and Little Donuts this season. (Davis Bonner | Collegian)

Topped with a cheesecake frosting and caramel sauce that goes perfectly with the rich pumpkin donut flavor, these little mouth-watering delicacies from Peace, Love and Little Donuts will have foodies finishing them in one bite.

The modest shop on College Ave. features specialty pumpkin donuts in the fall, adding to the already eccentric collection of flavors. Rebecca Robinson, a senior employee at the doughnut shop, said the pumpkin-themed donuts are a great way to celebrate seasonal spirit.

“Last year we did it [sold pumpkin themed donuts]…we started mid-September and ended it right around Thanksgiving time,” Robinson said. “It’s just kind of a fun thing to celebrate fall, and everyone likes pumpkins.”

Rate: 7/10

Pumpkin Spice Latte From Lamar’s Donuts

For the fall season, LaMar’s Donuts and Coffee offers pumpkin spice lattes and a pumpkin spice donuts with cream cheese frosting. (Davis Bonner | Collegian)

For dedicated fans of the popular doughnut chain, this limited time treat offered for $3.64 from October to November should not be slept on. With a little more pumpkin than spice, this beverage is sure to warm up anyone’s morning with the familiar taste of fall.

Rate: 7/10

Pumpkin Spice Cake Donut From Lamar’s Donuts

Of course, one could never go wrong with Lamar’s classic cake donuts- the shop on Drake Road makes some of the softest, sweetest treats in the game. Their pumpkin spice cake donut is no exception; staying consistent with Lamar’s well-known heavenly texture, these bad boys come both with or without cream cheese frosting for just over a dollar, making for a delicious fall snack that won’t break the bank.

“I think it’s more authentic than other restaurants have and we use real pumpkins,” said Rebecca DeYoung, an employee at Lamar’s Donuts. “I would rate it pretty high.” 

Rate: 8.5/10

Pumpkin Spice Donut From Peace, Love and Little Donuts of Fort Collins

Pumpkin cheesecake is one of three fall offerings from Peace Love and Little Donuts this season. (Davis Bonner | Collegian)

Despite its almost indistinguishable flavor from the infamous Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, this donut is anything but basic. Frosted and sprinkled with bits of graham cracker, folks will get their fall fix with this treat.

“If we put on social media that we have specific donuts, they’re gonna be more popular, but also people come in and know exactly what they want sometimes,” said Robinson, employee at Peace, Love and Little Donuts. “It really just depends on people.”

Rate: 7.5/10

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Donut from Peace, Love & Little Donuts

Pumpkin chocolate-chip cookie dough is one of three fall offerings from Peace Love and Little Donuts this season. (Davis Bonner | Collegian)

Despite being an unexpected combination, the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Donut is a must-try for the more adventurous foodies. The hearty pumpkin flavor combined with chocolate creates a rich flavor, making for a delicious fall snack that is sure to cure anyone’s sweet tooth.

Rate: 9/10

Pumpkin Spice Latte from Momo Lolo Coffee House

For the fall season, Momo Lolo Coffee offers a pumpkin spice latte on their menu. (Davis Bonner | Collegian)

Sweetened with a pumpkin syrup and topped with cinnamon and nutmeg, this latté provides the perfect ratio of pumpkin to spice. With a much more significant layer of the traditional latte foam that everyone loves, this beverage is not only good for drinking but can be appreciated for its picture-perfect aesthetic. Alanna Pipkin, an employee of Momo Lolo Coffee House, said that although pumpkin spice isn’t generally her go-to drink, the ones they make at the café on Elizabeth definitely stand out.

“I don’t like pumpkin spice, but I like ours because we use cinnamon and nutmeg too- it [pumpkin flavor] is a syrup, but we dress it up a little bit which is good, so I do like it here,” Pipkin said.

Rate: 9.5/10

Pumpkin Latte from Alley Cat

Alley Cat’s pumpkin latte warms the tummy on chilly fall days. (Lauryn Bolz | Collegian)

At the Alley Cat, a pumpkin enthusiast can get their fix at any hour of the day.

“If this pumpkin latte doesn’t make the voices in your head go away, I don’t know what will,” said Alley Cat employee Caleb McFadden.

However, the drink’s pumpkin flavor may be a bit too soft for some, perhaps leaving pumpkin purists a bit disappointed. Also, the lack of autumn spices like cinnamon and nutmeg leave the latte tasting rather bland. A person with an untrained palette may not taste anything outside of the strong espresso.

Rate: 6.5/10

Elena Waldman and Lauryn Bolz can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter, @WaldmanElena and @laurynbolz.