Lyric to host fundraiser for ALS, screen ‘The Theory of Everything’ in wake of Stephen Hawking’s death tonight

Photo courtesy of Working Title Films

Stephen Hawking’s death was a sad moment for everyone, scientist or not. Hawking passed away on March 14 after years of suffering with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) — also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

The Lyric wants to pay homage to Hawking and raise some money for the disease he struggled with. To accomplish this, the local theatre will screen the Academy Award winning film “The Theory of Everything,” in which Eddie Redmayne plays a young Hawking. The film follows Hawking in his years at Cambridge, falling in love with his first wife and receiving the heavy diagnosis that would change his life.

Tickets for the screening will be $15, with $6 of that going directly to ALS United Rocky Mountain. ALS United aims to “discover treatments and a cure for ALS, and to serve, advocate for, and empower people affected by ALS to live their lives to the fullest,” according to their website.

The screening of “The Theory of Everything” will take place on tonight at 6:30 p.m.

An ALS United staff member will be at the screening to discuss the work of the ALS United and the Rocky Mountain Chapter.

For more information visit lyriccinema.com and alsrockymountain.org.

Collegian reporter Ashley Potts can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @11smashley.