Twenty places to visit in your 20s

Part of growing up and becoming an adult is getting to leave home and  travel to places you’ve always dreamed of seeing. For many of those who are reading this, that dream is starting to become a reality. Your twenties are said to be some of the best years of your life, so why not spend it exploring the world? Here are 20 places to travel in your 20s: 

1. Melbourne, Australia

Melbourne is Australia’s second largest city. This is an amazing place to visit simply because of the variety of things to do. The city is known as the “Cultural Capital,” and once you’ve visited, you will see why. While there, take a trip down the Great Ocean Road. This is a very scenic road that allows you to view several different sites, and it is full of history. If you visit Melbourne, you should also go to Phillip Island and watching the penguin parade.

2. Berlin, Germany

Berlin is known for its rich history and culture.While some say that it isn’t worth visiting, I can assure you that this is a place worth experiencing. If you’re an outdoor lover, then the Grunewald Forest is a perfect spot for you to check out. You can go hiking, biking, horseback riding and swimming. If you’re more into the indoor activities, then taking a trip to Reichstag would be a better option. Reichstag is where the German Parliament resides, but that’s not the only reason you should go there. The rooftop access gives you an amazing view of the entire city.

3. Bahamas

This is a more expensive trip, but it is definitely worth it if you want to escape Colorado’s crazy weather extremes. This is a warm, relaxing vacation spot with the bluest water. While visiting, you can play different sports or relax on the beach. Snorkeling and diving are some of the most popular activities available at the Bahamas, especially since the area has amazing ocean life. 

4. New York, New York

New York is known for being fast and loud. “The city that never sleeps” has a great night life scene, where anyone and everyone can find a place to have fun. And if you aren’t in the partying mood, there is always the iconic Central Park or the Metropolitan Museum of Arts.

5. Greece

Like all of the locations on this list, Greece is known for it’s great weather and amazing beauty, but the real reason to visit Greece is to see the historic monuments. The medieval town of Mystras is just one example of the amazing sites that Greece has to offer. The country also has delicious cuisines that will more than likely satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.

6. Cambodia

Cambodia has a lot to offer incoming tourists. One of the most unique places to visit would is the Angkor Wat. Angkor Wat means city temple, and it was built during the beginning of the 12th century.

7. Banff, Canada

Despite its several stereotypes, Canada it an amazing place to visit. Banff is for skiers, snowboarders and nature lovers. This city literally leaves you pinching yourself because it is just so clean and clear.

8. Hawaii

This entire state is filled with beautiful sights. You can either attend a cultural gathering and interact with the locals or just enjoy the beach. Hawaii gives you the chance to really gain a new appreciation for the ocean with surfing or deep sea fishing.

9.Alaska

This is a very underrated place to visit here in the US and it is a shame. It might not be tropical but what it lacks in constant warmth it makes up for in everything else. The Northern Lights is definitely a sight to see once night falls, but during the day flight seeing over the mountains is amazing.  

10. Bora Bora

Bora Bora is filled with adventure. You can hike up scenic mountains, snorkel and shop. It is a beautiful lagoon with dormant volcanoes. Bora Bora also has thick jungles that really add to the experience. Fair warning though, this is a very expensive trip, so it might be good to save up.

11. Machu Picchu, Peru

This place is filled with a lot of history, and its culture is one of a kind. Exploring all the different ruins will be well worth the trip, but be sure to check what times of the year are best to visit so that you are not stuck in large crowds or poor weather.

12. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This city is full of sights. You can either go on tours or just wander around and explore the city for yourself. A cool experience would be attending Carnival so that you get the chance to explore a new culture, while also letting loose and enjoying the vacation. 

13. London, England

London offers a lot of comfort and relaxation in a more affordable manner. London is full of different activities, but some of the most popular places to visit are Thames River and the shopping district.

14. Zhangye Danxia, China

In general, China has a beautiful culture, but you must experience Zhangye Danxia. If you haven’t heard of this place, then you probably don’t know about their amazing geological park where you can see the rainbow mountains. It is truly special. 

15. New Zealand

Aside from being used during the filming of amazing movies like “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit,” New Zealand has something for everyone. If you’re an adrenaline junkie, then they offer extreme sports like bungee jumping. You can also interact with the Maori culture.

16. Petra, Jordan

The iconic City of Petra is an entire city carved into the side of a mountain. It is truly inspiring to see how people were so innovative without the machines and tools that make would the same job much easier today.

17. Wyoming, USA

While not as glamorous as the other items on the list, Wyoming is home to Yellowstone National Park. There are a lot of activities that Yellowstone National Park has to offer, but the best experience is getting to interact with nature at its finest.

18. Italy

Italy is a very romantic country. It is filled with good food and good culture. You can go on gondola rides or enjoy the amazing museums that have some of the greatest pieces of art in the world.

19. Egypt

The Pyramid of Giza is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. While the desert itself can e a bit harsh, the trip is definitely worth it. The pyramid was built as a burial tomb for Pharaoh Khufu.

20. India

While visiting India can definitely give you culture shock, it is well worth it. The culture is rich with tradition and the cities aren’t like anything you have seen before. You should definitely visit the Taj Mahal. It is a mausoleum with beautiful artwork. It is also an important place not only for tourism, but for worship. You will meet all kinds of people here.

Collegian Arts and Culture reporter Alaysha Powell can be reached online at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter at @alaysha_powell.