French comic based on CSU student expands audience reach

Colorado State’s local superhero is soaring to new heights. “The Mister Wonderful,” a webcomic created by a team in Paris, tells the story of a CSU student named Nathan Northwood who can have any superpower he wants — but he can only use it once a week. 

Thivone and Aubert pose with their first article in the Collegian outside a bistro in Paris. Two students studying abroad in the spring 2015 semester were able to deliver copies of the article to the comic's creators. (Photo Credits: Rachel Fountain)
Thivone and Aubert pose with their first article in the Collegian outside a bistro in Paris. Two students studying abroad in the spring 2015 semester were able to deliver copies of the article to the comic’s creators. (Photo Credits: Rachel Fountain)

Since the comic’s first appearance in the Collegian nearly one year ago, “The Mister Wonderful” has improved and expanded to better tell Nate’s story to people all over the world.

Writer Steeve Aubert and colorist Aline Thivone continue to create the comic from their hometown of Paris. While the comic was originally only written in English, the team has launched a French version in order to expand “The Mister Wonderful’s” audience.

One page from the comic "The Mister Wonderful." (Photo courtesy of Steeve Aubert, Daniel Jacob and Aline Thivone, the comic writer, artist and colorist.)
One page from the comic “The Mister Wonderful.” (Photo courtesy of Steeve Aubert, Daniel Jacob and Aline Thivone, the comic writer, artist and colorist.)

“The French version of TMW got us new readers and forced me to rewrite and re-letter everything from the beginning, which is a good thing as I got to improve some things relying on the experience I gained during the year between the launch of the English version and now,” Aubert said in an online interview.

The English version will be put on hold until the French version has caught up.

In the meantime, Aubert and Thivone have made slight changes to the comic’s pervious issues. According to the Mister Wonderful Facebook page, the comic’s colors have been brightened and the dialogue and caption boxes have been slightly re-written.

The Mister Wonderful will also feature a new artist every issue. Originally, new issues came out every week. Due to the changes, a new installment of the story will now be added every month.

Collegian Reporter Rachel Fountain can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @rachelcfountain.