KCSU Review: Trick-or-Tracks for Halloween

The KCSU DJs are dead … serious about this Halloween playlist.  Chilling choruses, dreary drops and haunting hums – this playlist is sure to kill wherever you go this Saturday. 

1. “Dead Walker Texas Ranger” by Sleeping With Sirens – DJ Mac: This song literally talks about zombies, but with screamo/punk/alternative thrown onto it. How cool is that?!
  2. “Lose Your Soul” by Dead Man’s Bones – DJ Nova: It’s Ryan Gosling’s band it has just the right amount of spooky for the season!
    Pre-game your trick-or-treating with this playlist.
  3. “Sweet William” by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – DJ Thrillington: Not exactly a Halloween tune, but it’s got a spooky vibe that reminds me of this time of year.
  4. “The Bog” by Shannon and the Clams – DJ Atlantic: Just listen to it and you will know why. 
  5. “Spooky Scary Werewolf Barmitzvah” by Tracy Jordan – DJ Bruce. This song has everything that Halloween is all about: driving organ, cheesy sound effects and werewolves.
  6. “Thriller” by Michael Jackson – Mad Mags: What’s not to love? The music video is even a mini horror movie!
  7. “Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker, Jr. – DJ Sapphire. The most obvious Halloween song we all love from the movie.
  8. “Halloween (Misfits cover)” by Alkaline Trio – DJ Rooster
  9. “Pioneer to The Falls” by Interpol – DJ J.Schway: Pioneer to the Falls is based upon a gory murder that occurred in 2006. It puts you into what is interpreted as the killer’s mind – it doesn’t get creepier than that.
  10. “TV Talk” by Lord RAJA – DJ Chomatone: It doesn’t sound like a Halloween song at first, but upon closer listening, elements of this track add up to create a creepy, unsettling, and almost supernatural soundscape that goes well with Halloween.
  11. “Spooky Scary Skeletons (Remix)” by The Living Tombstone – DJ Squid: For the ske
    Do_They_Know_It's_Halloween
    Proceeds from this for-charity song went to UNICEF. Contributors include Beck, Arcade Fire, Feist and many others.
    leton wars.
  12. “Granite” by Pendulum – Foxhill: Starts off with a theremin and keeps a subtle “spooky” vibe going throughout the song.
  13. “Sinister Exaggerator” by The Residents – DJ Hyperballad
  14. “I Love The Dead” by Alice Cooper – Captain Jack 
  15. “Scaretale” by Nightwish – DJ Nightshade: Kind of sounds like the music to a Tim Burton film – dreariness, playful fright, creepy children’s choir and all!
  16. “Tiny Face” by Tipper – DJ B-RAD: This song is so creepy yet so good.
  17. “Do They Know It’s Halloween?” by Arcade Fire, Beck, R.E.M.’s, David Cross, Feist and more – Hannah from the Knickknack Hour: If this isn’t Halloween I don’t know what is.
  18. “Terror Time Again” by Skycycle – DJ Demo: From Scooby Doo on Zombie Island, one of the best Scooby Doo movies of all time and an awesome song that freaked out many kids in the 90’s!

Access the KCSU Halloween playlist on Spotify here.

Collegian Reporter and KCSU DJ Jake Schwebach can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @jschway.