Meet the editor: Matthew Bailey, News Editor

Matthew Bailey is incredibly excited and privileged to serve as the news editor at The Rocky Mountain Collegian for the 2019-20 academic year after having worked there as a reporter on the news desk for two years. 

Originally from the San Diego, California, suburb of Oceanside, Bailey began developing his passion for writing and reporting during his sophomore year of high school when he joined his high school’s newspaper, Cathedral Catholic High School’s El Cid. Bailey’s time and experience reporting for El Cid through his senior year allowed him to determine journalism as his career path and choice of study in college. Bailey is currently a third-year student who majors in journalism and media communication and minors in political science. 

Upon touring Colorado State University, Bailey became interested in the journalism opportunities offered there, especially The Rocky Mountain Collegian. Bailey began writing for The Collegian at the beginning of his freshman year and has continued to receive invaluable journalistic experiences at The Collegian since. 

Aside from his role at The Collegian, Bailey has a passion for traveling. Bailey enrolled in a Semester at Sea voyage in spring 2019 and visited numerous countries throughout Asia, Africa and Europe during the nearly four-month-long trip. One such country he particularly enjoyed for its culture and beauty was Vietnam. He plans on moving there as part of a yearlong English teaching program after graduating from CSU, and he’s interested in getting involved with the Peace Corps in the future. 

Another passion of Bailey’s is helping students at CSU. Bailey recently took up a Key Plus community leadership coach position within Key Communities, and he looks forward to mentoring third and fourth-year students. 

During his free time, Bailey enjoys taking drives, listening to music, trying new foods and watching movies. 

Matt Bailey can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @MattBailey760.