Meet your digital production manager: Mikaela Rodenbaugh

Mikaela Rodenbaugh, Digital Production Manager. (Tony Villalobos May | Collegian)

Editor’s note: As part of a media transparency initiative, on Aug. 20, 2018, The Collegian spent the first day of publishing of the year telling our readers about us. You can read more about the people behind our publication in the Editor’s Blog.

Mikaela Rodenbaugh is the digital production manager for The Collegian and a second year master’s of science student for the public communication and technology program offered by the journalism department at Colorado State University.

She has worked for The Collegian since her senior year of undergrad as a journalism major at CSU in two other positions: webmaster and managing editor. This year, Mikaela is returning for her second year as digital production manager of The Collegian. Additionally, she is completing a reporting internship for The Coloradoan, where she has covered events and entertainment, news and even business stories.

Rodenbaugh is passionate about student media as a whole but especially about fostering media literacies for audiences and presenting the best digital content a student publication has to offer. Last year, she oversaw the redesign of collegian.com with an eye towards web design that reinforces media literacy concepts.

Rodenbaugh spends a lot of time thinking about the intersections of journalism, web design, digital presentation, and better news for online environments. Despite her digital focus, her background is in print where she found her passion for journalism as a budding student reporter and eventual editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper.

As a graduate student, Mikaela is currently working on research related to empathy in news audiences and news presentation. In the past she has also researched copycat effect of suicide and mass shootings related to media coverage of those events.  Additionally, she is a recitation instructor for JTC 300—Professional and Technical Communication.

Mikaela loves feedback on the website and anything you think The Collegian could do better as an organization. If you have any comments or suggestions for our site please email her at mrodenbaugh@collegian.com.