Colorado State swing dance concert at UCA

Matt Carroll, Jazz Ensemble I pianist, pratices the song "Tuxedo Junction" for the upcomming show that will feature swing dancing as an accompaniment to the music. The Saturday concert offers the audience the option to pay for swing dancing lessons from by the Fort Collins-based Jumpin’ Jive Cats before the concert.
Matt Carroll, Jazz Ensemble I pianist, pratices the song “Tuxedo Junction” for the upcomming show that will feature swing dancing as an accompaniment to the music. The Saturday concert offers the audience the option to pay for swing dancing lessons from by the Fort Collins-based Jumpin’ Jive Cats before the concert.

As the famous jazz musician Duke Ellington once put it, “It don’t mean a thing, if you ain’t got that swing.”

Saturday at 7 p.m. the Colorado State jazz program will be hosting its first ever swing dance in the UCA Instrumental Rehearsal Hall.

The band will perform while the audience gets some hands on interaction.

Not a dancer? Fret not, because local dance company, Jumpin Jive Cats, will be giving a brief swing dance lesson at 6 p.m.

“I encourage people to dress up and wear their dancing shoes,” said Carrie Care, the publicity coordinator for UCA.

Not only will you be dancing the night away Saturday, but you will be exposed to one of America’s most treasured genres of music.

“Whether you’re new to jazz or it’s something you have loved your whole life, there is something about it that gets under your skin,” Care said.

Music selections will include some classic jazz favorites such as Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller among others.

“I think it’s important that our students in the jazz program see where jazz came from and what it’s become over the years,” said Jon Gray, graduate teaching assistant for the CSU jazz division. “Jazz music is a real important part of American heritage.”

Jazz was a type of music that changed its era. It has endured the test of time and is celebrated by communities across the nation.

“Jazz offers a unique approach to rhythm and harmony, and employs a language developed over one hundred years of American history,” wrote Peter Sommer, director of jazz studies at CSU, in an email to the Collegian staff.

Take advantage of this opportunity to gather as a community to dance, celebrate and learn.

“Music is a strong bond that brings a lot of people together despite their walk or background,” Care said. “It gives you a sense of being a part of a larger community at CSU.”

Tickets will be $13 for students, $25 for student couples, $18 for adults, $35 for adult couples and $13 for all youth.

Tickets include admission, food and a night of fun. They can be purchased online at www.CSUarttickets.com, or at the UCA ticket office.

Music and Performing Arts Beat Reporter Peyton Garcia can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.