Attend the Colorado State Marching Band’s trip to Dublin fundraiser

After you’re done celebrating all things Irish at the Rocky Mountain Irish Festival, head over to the Lincoln Center Saturday night to enjoy the emerald isle’s music with the bands of CSU.

As a fundraiser for the CSU Marching Band’s trip to march in the 2013 St. Patrick’s Day Parade — held in Dublin —, the band will perform music from past and future performances, including pieces from the Beatles and FUN.

The CSU symphonic band and wind ensemble will also be performing traditional Irish music.

The marching band’s performance at the Parade of Lights in Denver in 2010, as well as their performances at football games, caught the attention of the committee who chooses the St. Patrick’s Day Parade performers, according to Dr. Christopher Nicholas, director of bands and conductor of the wind ensemble at CSU.

Nicholas himself marched in the parade in Dublin when he was a sophomore in college.

“I know firsthand what it will do for our students and for our university. It establishes us and represents our music department on a world stage,” he said. “I can’t imagine anything near this kind of exposure.”

Nicholas said that the event, which will be a main source of fundraising for the band’s upcoming trip, is the first indoor concert in the marching band’s history and will continue as an annual performance.

The wind ensemble will be performing “An Irish Tapestry” to include many traditional Irish pieces.  The ensemble will be joined by Adam Frey, an elite and internationally known brass soloist.

New CSU faculty, Dr. John Seesholtz , will join the symphonic band playing the baritone.   The symphonic band will be performing “Old American Songs” to celebrate the connection between Ireland and America.

The marching band will be conducted by drum majors Devon Aimes, Luke Contreras and Wes Turner.

“It’s an honor to be able to represent the university, the marching band and the nation,” Turner said.

The marching bands from Ohio State and Purdue Universities will also be performing in Dublin for the parade, according to Turner.

The drum majors promised a night of surprising musical experiences including previews for the homecoming game performance and the difference in sound compared to the football field.

“Students always say how much they love the band at the games, but if they really love the band, come take the opportunity to see us perform indoors, because it’s meant to be different,” Aimes said.

Out of the 300 members in the marching band, 220 will be performing in the parade in Dublin.

Many of the marching band students have never been outside of the country. Senior math education major and clarinet player in the marching band, Tabitha Nickerson, is one of these students, and is excited for the opportunity.

“This is an experience of a lifetime to tell my children that I marched in an international parade.  I can’t even imagine how cool this going to be,” she said.  “It’s more than just the music; it’s supporting your student name. For the school to be recognized internationally, it raises expectations.”

It is recommended that tickets be purchased online through the Lincoln Center website, as seating is reserved.