Sedate the sleeping giant

Isaac Morley
Isaac Morley

Iraq, Iran and now, perhaps in Syria — all of these places America has been intervening in ways that should never be allowed. While these regimes and others like it have taken away liberties that we as Americans would never wish to live without, does that give us the right to intercede?

The question is: why is America becoming so involved in these overseas conflicts? Do we have any real right to say what should happen in a country over which we are not sovereign? The answer to this can be found by looking no further than the true patron of the American political system.

War creates real profit for corporations such as big oil, armaments manufacturers and even steel. In a society where the government is largely funded by large corporations, is it possible to separate the interests of the corporations that earn these profits and the actions of the governing body.

While actions in countries such as Syria create profit and potentially solve the collective conscience, they actually create a cost to our rights and freedoms. While our boys are putting their lives on the line for confrontations that we arguably have no right to be a part of, these big corporations are being allowed to set prices at will and we don’t even bat an eye.

While we live in and benefit from our capitalist society in which citizens have the right to strive after wealth of their own merit, the government has changed this into creating profit for itself at the cost of domestic interests.

Look to the opinions of the American populace, of which, according to NBC, only 50 percent think we should be intervening in Syria.

While this statistic may seem inconsequential, it shows that in a representative sample of the population the actions of the President and Congress do not truly represent the will of the governed.

For years the United States was known as the “sleeping giant,” a superpower to whom the rest of the world should dread to awaken.

Has America ever truly been sleeping? Even during the Second World War, when we had a declared policy of isolationism, we still backed other countries in an effort to end the war.

What gives America the right to intervene? Some would say as one of the leading superpowers in the world we have a duty to protect it, I challenge this idea. How can any entity, country or person, fix problems of others without first fixing itself?

We live in a system where our highest paid workers are professional athletes. There is little to no funding for education. Poverty and joblessness are rampant.

Soldiers, those who should be highly respected and better rewarded for their sacrifices, are paid next to nothing, with little benefits, working in what is the highest risk job in the world.

It is time for the Giant to truly go to sleep and to finally work on fixing its own problems before trying to fix the rest of the world.

Isaac Morley is a sophomore business administration and english education double major. On Friday nights you can see him donning a cape and cowl and taking on the vestiges of B@man. He can be followed on Twitter @Isaac_Morley — Letters and Feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com