Get insured, CSU — 1 in 4 young adults in Colo. don’t have health insurance

English: President Barack Obama's signature on...
English: President Barack Obama’s signature on the health insurance reform bill at the White House, March 23, 2010. The President signed the bill with 22 different pens. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Do you have health insurance? CSU wants to know.

If you’ve been on RamWeb recently (which you all should, getting ready for registration), you’ve no doubt seen the question asking about your health insurance.

According to a new report from The Colorado Trust’s 2011 Colorado Health Access Survey, one out of four people aged 18 to 29 in Colorado don’t have health insurance.

The illusion of youth can make it feel as if we’re invulnerable, but the fact is that everybody gets sick and everybody needs health insurance. Most people cite the cost of insurance as the reason for not getting health insurance, but if cost is what’s keeping you, you’ll want to get insured before the cost begins to rise.

A study from the Society of Actuaries recently found that insurance companies will have to pay 32 percent more for medical claims on individual health care policies under Obama’s Affordable Care Act, which is almost guaranteed to increase premiums for insurance. Translation: health care is about to get more expensive.

Yes, many of us are lucky enough to still be on our parents’ insurance thanks to that same Act’s age extension to 26, but we can’t cling to our parents’ coattails forever, and it might be better to get your own insurance sooner rather than later.

Everybody needs health insurance. If you’re that one of four that doesn’t have it, start trying to do everything you can to attain it.

As a student, CSU even has a pretty comprehensive insurance program if you have no other options. So get yourself some information, save some money and get insured.