Destiny’s Child: Empowering Girls Since the ‘90s

Tyanna SlobeEver since the Super Bowl I have been listening to Destiny’s Child songs on repeat. I had almost forgotten how much I loved my girls Kelly, Michelle and Beyonce back in junior high. When the Survivor album came out in 2001 I was obsessed with the catchy tunes. Seeing the girls perform together again made me reflect on the reasons why Destiny’s Child may be the greatest girl band of all time.

But it’s not too late to allow yourself to be empowered by Destiny’s Child! While you may be a decade and a half older since the last time you jammed out to their lyrics, their messages of liberation and independence are still applicable to your life as a busy college student.

I’ve chosen a few of Destiny’s Child’s greatest hits to help demonstrate how their themes are still relevant to our lives:

“Jumpin’ Jumpin’”

Are you a little bit too attached to your significant other? Are your relationships with your girlfriends falling apart because you can’t bear to leave your lover alone? If you find yourself in this situation you should probably listen to Destiny’s Child when they say, “Ladies, leave your man at home.”

You can afford to spend some time away from your partner, even if you are in a serious committed relationship. Spend time with your girlfriends. If there is anything to be learned from Destiny’s Child, it’s that girlfriends are important too.

Plus, can you imagine how much more awesome Bondi would be on a Friday night if all the ladies left all the men at home? There would be far fewer unwanted butt-grabs. It would certainly be jumpin’ jumpin’.

“Survivor”

The semester is starting to get into full-swing, and if you’re anything like me your workload is starting to seem unmanageable. Particularly if you are graduating this semester, you probably don’t think that you have the energy to finish strong. Destiny’s Child would suggest otherwise.

Next time you think that you just can’t finish that rough homework assignment, or that you won’t pass an impossible midterm, just remember that you have done it before. You’ve lived through many difficult semesters, and you are a survivor!

Anytime the voice in the back of your head starts whispering “I can’t do it”, allow Beyonce’s far more powerful voice to drown it out:

“You’re a survivor, you’re not going to give up, you’re not going to stop, and you’re going to work harder. You’re a survivor, you’re going to make it, you will survive and keep on surviving.”

“Independent Woman”

Leaving home for college is, for many of us, our first time living independently from our families. It can be hard to cut the cord, especially if you are financially dependent on your parents for everything.

Sure, you may need help paying for tuition and other unmanageable expenses that students are faced with. Even Destiny’s Child will admit that “it’s not easy bein’ independent”, but it is certainly one of the more empowering ways to change your life. Get a job! Being able to depend on yourself for groceries, fancy dinners and outings with friends is an important part of being independent.

If you are one of the many honeys who Destiny’s Child inspired to make her own money, be sure to throw your hands up with pride. You pay for your own fun and you pay your own bills. You are a rock star.

The themes of empowerment that Destiny’s Child preached way back in the late 1990s and early 2000s have only become more relevant with age. Your ten-year-old self probably danced around your bedroom every night yelling “all the women who are independent throw your hands up at me” and there is no reason why you shouldn’t do the same in 2013.

Destiny’s Child helped you become an empowered pre-teen. If somewhere along the line you’ve forgotten how to empower yourself just dig out your old CDs and take a listen. Then join me in following Beyonce around the country all summer for the United States portion of her “The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour”. After her Superbowl performance, I’m not sure how you could resist.