New semester, same CSU feeling

Well, here we are everyone. It’s the start of another semester, and I must say that I am pleased to find out that CSU hasn’t lost any of its substance over the summer.

The bookstore—which I swear is a for-profit arm of the university—in the LSC is as insane as ever during the beginning of semesters. Normally I try to buy cheaply off Amazon, but a professor-specific book had me waiting in line there for a good half an hour.

Already I have found myself cursing the bicyclists that seem determined to irritate as many people at one time as possible by riding through the middle of the sidewalk lining Eddy and Clark during peak people hours.

Even better is that a professor had to cancel class due to not having a working projector, and being let go early would have been okay had I not been bombarded en route to the LSC by the coupon book people.

And best of all, I was pleased to find out that the third floors of most buildings still seemingly have absolutely no temperature control—because sweltering through my language class is just my kind of fun.

But hey, these issues are nothing that an on-campus stadium can’t fix, right?

In all seriousness though, I really do enjoy being back in the swing of things. Seeing how excited the newcomers are to be here, and seeing some of the really special people from last year always makes for a good time.

Plus it is always a bonus when you can go more than a few days without having some stranger confront you and inquire if you wouldn’t mind them asking you a few questions.

For all the newcomers to this campus, get ready for that experience, it really is a part of going to school here.

This time of year is great because everyone is so happy, pleasant and easy to talk to. Everyone dresses nice and smiles when you make eye contact—because their will hasn’t yet been eroded by weeks of endless reading, research, and testing.

Nearly two years ago to the day, I stepped onto this campus as a completely different person than who I am today. This place has totally changed who I am, what I value, and what I believe ideologically. And there is nowhere else I would rather be getting an education.

If you are open minded—even a little—then I guarantee this campus will change you in one way or another. Who you become while you are here is likely the core of who you will be for the rest of your life. And it is really important to decide who you are now, and what you believe in.

Hopefully this semester will be one where you challenge yourself intellectually, socially and physically. Life is meant to be hard sometimes, and if yours isn’t then you aren’t doing it correctly.

Anyway, that is my little philosophical tirade, and if it struck a positive chord with at least one person, I would consider that a success.

Optimistically, over the course of this year I will get a few positive emails from some of you and probably more hate mail from the others. Which is a good thing, because it means I am pushing the right buttons and talking about the tough subjects.

I truly do hope that my articles will provide some insight into the important issues of the day—along with some dry quick humor—and provoke really strong feelings. After all, people are most vocal about things they feel strongly about, and discussion is the first step toward action.

But now, sadly, as you reach the end of this article, you all will probably have to head back out into the daunting openness of CSU, but maybe catch a free high five from people—they seem to have been going around.

And now that I think about it, hopefully those high fivers washed their hands thoroughly; college students and their hands are not exactly the cleanest things. Who knows where they’ve really been.

Res Stecker is a junior international studies major. His columns appear Thursdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com