Unlocking the Digital Treasure: A Dive into Cryptocurrency Exchanges

Ever wondered, amid all this digital currency buzz, what is the value of Ethereum today? It's a question that sparks the curiosity of many,...

Strain Review: Verde Natural’s GMO, grown in living soil

Marijuana sits in a grinder next to a lighter
A photo illustration of marijuana buds grounded up in a grinder Sept. 6. (Tri Duong | The Collegian)

Verde Natural is a Colorado-based cultivation company with roots in Humboldt County, California, that produces award-winning cannabis and grows it in a very unique way: with living soil.

What exactly is living soil, and why does it cultivate some of the best cannabis on the market? Cannabis grown in living soil mimics the natural environment the plant originated from. The soil contains nutrients like probiotic bacteria, worm castings and alfalfa meal — all of which make the soil “living.” This biodiverse environment within the soil creates optimal conditions for growing top-tier cannabis.  

The living soil environment isn’t present in other growing methods, like hydroponics. Although a similar result can be achieved using other methods, living soil cultivates a plant most similar to cannabis grown in its natural environment.

“There’s certain characteristics of the bud that are definitely different,” said Bernie Patterson, digital marketing coordinator for Verde Natural and DabLogic. “There’s certain characteristics of the high, of the smoke, of the terpene profile that are just different.”

Verde Natural originally grew cannabis outdoors in Humboldt County. In 2009, the company moved from the Emerald Triangle to growing indoors in Colorado.

“Unfortunately, California took a little bit long to kind of start their whole recreational program, and Colorado was booming,” Patterson said. “They already had things in line; they had a great program ready to go.”

The move to Colorado proved successful. Verde now has two flagship dispensaries in Denver and Boulder and sells cannabis to various dispensaries around the state. Their sister company, DabLogic, has won multiple awards for their solventless concentrates created with Verde Natural

A bowl of marijuana sits on a bong
A photo illustration of marijuana packed in a bowl that sits in a bong Sept. 7. (Tri Duong | The Collegian)

flower.

Living soil offers kind of a truer and more accurate representation of the characteristics of each strain, which really kind of break down and give the ultimate experience to the customer or the medical patient.” -Bernie Patterson, digital marketing coordinator for Verde Natural and DabLogic

I couldn’t resist trying some of Verde’s cannabis after a well-educated budtender at Verts Neighborhood Dispensary explained the living soil grow process to me.

I decided on one-eighth of an ounce of GMO, an indica crossed between Chemdog and Girl Scout Cookies. It tested at 27.63% THC content, and I couldn’t wait to try it.

Verde categorizes their strains based on terpene profiles and describes them as rise, flow, ease and rest. GMO falls under the flow category.

Being prone to anxiety, indica is always my go-to, and this strain is now one of my favorites. After smoking a bowl with a few friends, I noticed my thoughts slowed down, and the worries of the day faded with the sunset over Horsetooth.

The freshly ground, bright green buds smelled of pine and garlic, creating an organic taste when we smoked it. Verde’s website describes GMO as “a full-bodied gassy strain with earthy garlic notes.”

This strong indica was uplifting and definitely made me giggly, while my friends wanted to watch a documentary or go get donuts. This isn’t a strain that will glue you to the couch, but it will allow you to slow down and fully observe your surroundings.

Although I got the GMO at Verts, Patterson insists the best quality bud is at either of their flagship dispensaries. He recommended the strains Strawnana, Motorbreath, Punch Cookies and Roasted Garlic Margy.

“Living soil offers kind of a truer and more accurate representation of the characteristics of each strain, which really kind of break down and give the ultimate experience to the customer or the medical patient,” Patterson said.

Being one of my new favorite strains, I would give Verde’s GMO 4.5 out of 5 buds. The earthy notes and calm high are great for anyone who needs to slow their mind after a long day.

Lindsay Barker can be reached at cannabis@collegian.com  or on Twitter @lindsaybarkerj.