Tattoos to restore femininity for breast cancer survivors

"Inga Duncan Thornell's tattoo, which was created by tattoo artist Tina Bafaro after Thornell's prophylactic double mastectomy, took nearly two years to complete," according to Today Health.
“Inga Duncan Thornell’s tattoo, which was created by tattoo artist Tina Bafaro after Thornell’s prophylactic double mastectomy, took nearly two years to complete,” according to Today Health. (source)

Many women must decide between two choices after a mastectomy: embrace their newly flat chests or undergo reconstructive surgery. However, a new option has emerged to help women restore their sense of femininity and beauty in their own, unique way through tattooing, according to Today Health.

“I think it’s a neat option,” she says. “You step out of the shower and you look like yourself. You don’t look scarred. I understand why women would reconstruct and totally respect their decision to do that to be more normal, but the thought of having more surgery, more discomfort, didn’t appeal to me at all,” Inga Ducan Thornell, a breast cancer survivor, said to Today Health.

There are as many different designs for these tattoos as there are women, too. Artists such as Maryland based Vinnie Myers offer not only traditional tattoo work, but 3D nipple reconstruction for women who are looking for that final step to recovery.

To read more about how tattoos can help breast cancer survivors click here.