DC Proposes 24-Hour Waiting Period to Get Body Art

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevharb/4991610631/

In an effort to create a more responsible tattooing and piercing community, officials in Washington D.C. have proposed a mandated 24-hour waiting period before customers are able to get body art.

According to radio station WAMU 88.5, “”The licensee or operator of a body art establishment shall ensure that no tattoo artist applies any tattoo to a customer until after twenty-four (24) hours have passed since the customer first requested the tattoo,” state the regulations, with similar wording for body piercings. The regulations would also prohibit artists from binding a customer to committing to getting a tattoo or piercing.”

However, the idea of a mandated waiting period for body art has frustrated many local artists in the area as they fear that it would negatively impact business.

“That’s a classic case of a cosmetologist saying, ‘Shouldn’t those people think about their decision?””, Paul Roe, a D.C.-based tattoo artist, said to radio station WAMU 88.5.

The proposal aims decrease the amount of impulse tattoos and work requested while under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

To read more about the proposal and its possible impacts click here.