Rams track and field hosts first home meet, Offerman breaks CSU record

Collegian | Devin Cornelius

Colorado State University’s Isa Bynum jumps into the air during the Doug Max Invitational April 16. Bynum took first place in the men’s long jump event with a distance of 6.88 meters.

Madeline Davis

Braidon Nourse, Sports Reporter

The Colorado State University track and field team hosted their first of two outdoor home meets of the season this past weekend for the third annual Doug Max Invitational April 16, which honors the legendary CSU athlete and coach.

The Rams distance squad was not in action for the home meet, as they took to Azusa, California, to compete at the Bryan Clay Invitational at Azusa Pacific University April 14-15. 

In California, Rams history was made. Lauren Offerman, who broke the CSU record in the 5,000-meter run two weeks ago, decided two school records are better than one. In the invite section of the women’s 1,500-meter run, Offerman ran a time of 4 minutes, 21.76 seconds to take down the nearly 50-year-old CSU record time in the event.

In Fort Collins, the Rams held a small successful meet of their own. The meet consisted of competitors from a few surrounding programs, and the competition for each event was mostly limited to one or two heats each. 

On the track, the first event of the day was the 1,500-meter run. Although there were no school records in this competition, the Rams were able to sweep the competition with wins on the men’s and women’s sides. Lauren Turner’s huge last lap brought her home in first place with a new personal record of 4:43.34. In the men’s race, Michael Mooney ran away from the pack and was able to hold off the rest of the field, finishing in 3:59.05.

The Rams broke three meet records in running events in the men’s 4×100-meter relay, men’s 110-meter high hurdles and the men’s 200-meter dash. The squad of Adam Stark, Kelley Stephens, Jack Cauble and Kyle Dempsey ran the baton around the track in 40.48 seconds. Then, in the hurdles, Andrew Doctor was able to win the competition in 14.23 seconds, another new meet record. Stephens ran an incredible 200-meter race, running a time of 20.92 seconds into a headwind, a time that is tied for third in the all-time rankings at CSU.

The Rams also broke two field event meet records in the men’s and women’s shot put. Mariano Kis won the men’s shot put competition, breaking the meet record with a throw of 17.24 meters. Gabi McDonald won the women’s shot put and threw a meet record of 15.73 meters.

The Rams will host their second and final home meet of the season starting April 22 for the Jack Christiansen Invitational. The meet will be open to high school and college competitors and will be held at Colorado State University.

Reach Braidon Nourse at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @BraidonNourse.