CSU track and field takes 1st, 2nd at MW Championship

Collegian | Garrett Mogel

Lauren Gale, in her 2021 Olympic jersey, poses in a start position on the Jack Christiansen Memorial Track in Fort Collins Oct. 4, 2021.

CTV Sports: Madeline Davis

Braidon Nourse, Sports Reporter

The 2022 Mountain West Indoor Track & Field Championships concluded Feb. 26 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. During the three days of competition including the conference’s best athletes, the Colorado State University Rams put on a show. 

The women’s team won their championship comfortably, scoring 151 total points during the meet. Second-place San Diego State University scored 112.5 points, cementing a staggering 38.5-point victory for the Rams in the team scores. The men’s competition, however, was tighter. The CSU men finished in second place in a team competition that stayed close until the end. The United States Air Force Academy finished first with 180 points, while CSU finished only nine points behind with 171 total. 

It didn’t take long for CSU to reach the podium for a single event. In only the second event of the meet, CSU took third in the men’s distance medley with a time of 9 minutes, 48.23 seconds. In the same event, CSU’s women took second with a time of 11:47.66.

On day two of the meet, junior Mariano Kis took second in the men’s weight throw with a distance of 19.39 meters. The field prowess continued when junior Jordan Lanning took second in the women’s high jump with a mark of 1.78 meters. Then, in the conclusion of the women’s pentathlon, senior Lexie Keller finished second across the four-event competition with a total score of 4,004.

Day three of the event proved to be the most eventful. Day two was mostly dedicated to preliminary races, wherein athletes racing in distances up to the mile competed to qualify for the finals that took place on day three.

Senior Lauren Gale placed first in the women’s 200-meter dash at 23.00 seconds. Gale also placed first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 51.78 seconds. Gale became the first athlete in the Mountain West Conference history to win five conference titles in the 400-meter. She also beat the championship meet record in the same race by over a second.

Here are all of the other Rams who placed in the top three on the final day of competition:

• Janyah Jasper, second place women’s 60-meter dash, 7.48 seconds
  • Megan Mooney, second place women’s mile, 4:46.66
  • Anna Petr, third place women’s mile, 4:46.75.
  • Yolonda Johnson, Makayla Williams, Bailee Carr and Grace Goldsworthy, second place women’s 4×400-meter relay, 3:40.42
  • Lauren Offerman, Johnson, Carr and Mooney, second place women’s distance medley relay, 11:47.66
  • Gabi McDonald, first place women’s shot put, 16.24 meters
  • Tarynn Bown, second place women’s shot put, 15.36 meters. Bown also took third in the women’s weight throw with a distance of 19.47 meters.
  • Tom Willems, second place men’s 200-meter dash, 20.97 seconds. Willems also took first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 46.43 seconds.
  • Adam Stark, third place men’s 400-meter dash, 47.35 seconds.
  • Cameron Ross, second place men’s 800-meter run, 1:50.67
  • Dawson LaRance, third place men’s 800-meter run, 1:51.30
  • Germain Barnes, first place men’s 60-meter hurdles, 7.91 seconds
  • Kamal-Craig Golaube, second place men’s 60-meter hurdles, 8.00 seconds
  • Andrew Doctor, third place men’s 60-meter hurdles, 8.05 seconds
  • Stark, Barnes, DeVon Washington and Willems, first place men’s 4×400-meter relay, 3:11.81
  • Eldridge Harris, second place men’s pole vault, 4.80 meters
  • Allam Bushara, first place men’s triple jump, 16.07 meters
  • Kis, first place men’s shot put, 18.05 meters

Reach Braidon Nourse at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @BraidonNourse.