Summer rundown: Everything you need to know about CSU Athletics

The 2015-16 school year saw a lot of athletic success here at Colorado State, winning nine Mountain West Conference championships, more than any other member. The summer was filled with Big-12 expansion rumors, on-campus stadium info, and a variety of former Rams doing great things. Here is you need to know to get caught up:

Rams in Rio:

The world’s greatest athletes competed in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this summer for the 29th summer olympic games, which included one current and a pair of former Rams.

Ben Pinkelman, currently a senior at CSU, represented the Rams as a member of the American rugby team.

Janay DeLoach competed in track and field in her second olympic games. Although LeRoach did not reach the medal round in 2016, her impressive career includes four All-America honors and four Mountain West long jump titles from her time at CSU, along with a 2008 bronze medal for long jump.

Former CSU basketball standout Andy Ogide represented Nigeria in this year’s summer games. The former Ram power forward scored 549 points in his three seasons at CSU and is still the ninth-highest-single-season total in school history.

Rio marks the 22nd time, a former Colorado State student athlete has gone on to compete in the Olympics, including every summer olympics the U.S. has competed in since 1972.

NBA Prospects:

Antwan Scott played for the hometown Denver Nuggets in the NBA Summer League.

In 33 games last season, Scott averaged 16.4 points per game, 4.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists. For his efforts, Scott earned second-team All-Mountain West honors, which is voted on by the league’s coaches and media.

Antwan Scott (1) drives against Cullen Russo. (Steve Nowland/NCAA Photos)

J.J. Avila also played in the summer league this summer, playing for the New York Knicks. Avila played for the Rams from 2013-2015. He played professionally in Belgium last season, averaging 11.1 points and 5.1 rebounds per game in 18 appearances.

New Belgium shows some love:

Colorado State and New Belgium Brewing Company announced that the iconic Fort Collins-based brewery was donating $4.3 million towards CSU’s on-campus stadium project. Along with the donation, New Belgium secured the naming rights to the “North endzone hospitality area”, which will be called the New Belgium porch.

The donation from New Belgium was the latest of a series of fundraising milestones, including $197.8 million in donations for the 2015-16 fiscal year.

Next-level Rams:

Former OL Sam Carlson signed with the Denver Broncos in early Aug. and will be competing for a roster spot this Fall. Carlson joins former CSU teammates Shaquil Barrett, Kapri Bibbs and Ty Sambrailo.

Hollywood meets “The Land”

After sliding in the draft last spring, Rashard “Hollywood” Higgins is making a

Colorado State wide receiver Rashard Higgins could have a big day against Nevada's secondary in the Arizona Bowl. (Abbie Parr/Collegian)
(Abbie Parr/Collegian)

name for himself in Cleveland this summer. Arguably the greatest wide receiver in Colorado State history, Higgins has impressed throughout training camp and caught a touchdown in his first NFL preseason game.

Collegian sports reporter Justin Michael can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @JustinTMichael.