CSU tennis to compete in Mountain West Championship

Mountain West Conference logo
Mountain West Conference logo (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Records are nothing but numbers for the CSU tennis team.

Headed to Colo. Springs for a weekend of Mountain West Championship play, the Rams look  to finish the year on a high note.

Currently 0-8 in the MW and 4-15 overall, the CSU tennis team could have a short weekend ahead of them unless they find a way to bring up their teams scores and work with a high amount of intensity.

“Going into the tournament, we have the opportunity to get everyone to play well,” CSU coach Jon Messick said. “We don’t feel like we have been one hundred percent … which has been a large down side on our season.”

Starting off a non-stop weekend of play, the Rams will take on New Mexico Thursday at 10 a.m. In their last match up, CSU fell to the Lobos  after their two out of three sets in doubles was not enough for a win.

“If we beat New Mexico, we are up to play the No.1 seed,” Messick said. “If we get that far, everyone is going to have to play at their highest possible to compete against San Diego State.”

The Rams are coming into the tournament after a 4-3 win against Northern Colorado Monday, which should give CSU a boost.

Freshman Abby Stevens picked up her second win at the No. 1 position against the Bears.

“One thing we are looking to do right away,  that we have not not done is play as a team,” Messick said. “We would like to be more consistent this weekend.”

However the season turns out for the Rams, there is room for improvement for next year.

“We have gifted young freshmen,”Messick said. “It’s important for them to learn what it is like to compete at the championship level and to see what will get better for next years’ season.”

Tennis Beat Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com.