Russell: Copy that, Collegian — thank you for everything

Piper Russell, News Director

Editor’s Note: Traditionally, graduating seniors working at The Collegian are given the chance to write a farewell note at the end of their tenure at CSU.

I came into college undeclared but quickly discovered my love of journalism. Ever since I was a kid, I knew I wanted my career to involve writing, so being published in The Collegian gave that dream structure.

I started taking journalism classes my first year at Colorado State University, but The Collegian is what truly hooked me on journalism and showed me it was right for me and what I wanted to do. After I finished his general reporting class, Jake Sherlock, student media advisor, encouraged me to come to write for The Collegian. I appreciate that push so much because I don’t know if I would’ve joined The Collegian without his encouragement.

So I did, and it was one of the best decisions of my college career. I still remember my excitement when I saw my first published article in print. 

“Thank you to The Collegian for solidifying my passion for journalism and allowing me to develop skills I know I will use for the rest of my life and for providing me with an amazing community of peers who share my passion for journalism and for making my time at CSU so amazing.”

My first job was as a news reporter in my sophomore year, reporting on events and issues occurring on CSU’s campus and throughout Fort Collins. I also reported on ASCSU’s weekly senate meetings during my junior year. I discovered things I definitely wouldn’t have known about without reporting for The Collegian, which is an opportunity I’m extremely grateful for.

I was hired as news editor my senior year and then promoted to news director second semester. Reflecting on my time as an editor throughout the past school year, I realize how lucky I am that I loved my job. I genuinely enjoyed going to meetings, writing, editing articles and brainstorming ideas with the rest of the staff.

My incredibly talented peers at The Collegian created a wonderful environment for me to learn and improve and gave me the support I needed to do so. They made the job fun, even when it was difficult. My co-director Allie Seibel and I laughed and supported each other through the challenges, which made it all enjoyable.

The Collegian provided me with endless opportunities to grow as a journalist, and I learned something new through every article I wrote or edited, meeting attended and experience. I reported on protests, submitted my first-ever Colorado Open Records Act request — which was quite a process — and met and interviewed many interesting people for stories.

I also gained confidence in myself as a journalist and a leader while working as an editor. I discovered I knew a lot more than I thought I did and learned even more through my peers and advisor. 

Because of this, working at The Collegian truly was the best and most rewarding experience of my time at CSU. They say experience is the best way to learn something, and when I reflect on my time at The Collegian, that is absolutely true. I feel extremely proud to have worked for The Collegian.

Thank you to The Collegian for solidifying my passion for journalism and allowing me to develop skills I know I will use for the rest of my life, for providing me with an amazing community of peers who share my passion for journalism and for making my time at CSU so amazing. My only regret is not starting my first year. So goodbye, Collegian you will always have a special place in my heart as my first journalism job.

Piper Russell was the news director and can no longer be reached at news@collegian.com  but can be reached on Twitter @PiperRussell10.