Peck: Thank you, Collegian, for allowing me to discover my passion

Collegian | Aaron Peck

Aaron Peck, Staff Reporter

Editor’s Note: Traditionally, graduating seniors working at The Collegian are given the chance to write a farewell note at the end of their tenure at CSU.

When I first arrived on Colorado State University’s campus almost four years ago, the thought of writing for the school newspaper never entered my mind. I had virtually no interest in journalism and practically vowed to stop writing after high school.

However, all my plans came to a grinding halt when the pandemic hit, and my first year at CSU was cut short. I realized that my future needed reevaluating, causing me to leave CSU and spend a year at Front Range Community College.

After that year, I reenrolled at CSU with a major in journalism and media communication with the goal of learning how to create online media. Professors immediately encouraged us to join The Collegian, CTV, College Avenue, or any other part of student media. I had hesitations about joining because I worried I did not have enough time or the necessary skills. 

This all changed when I met one of my fellow opinion writers, Callum Burke, who talked about his experience as a writer for The Collegian. Burke revealed how much he enjoyed working as a reporter and encouraged me to join. This led me to become part of The Collegian and the opinion desk back in January.  

“One aspect of The Collegian I am truly grateful for is that it encouraged me to be curious. Every week I had the opportunity to explore a new topic and talk to a different person. Working for The Collegian has shown me the importance of leaving your comfort zone and chasing new challenges.”

From my first reporter training session to finishing up my last opinion piece, I have always felt supported by everyone at The Collegian. I would like to especially thank Bella Eckburg, the opinion director, for allowing me the opportunity to write for the desk. I appreciate how Bella was always helpful, encouraging and always made me feel welcome.

One aspect of The Collegian I am truly grateful for is that it encouraged me to be curious. Every week I had the opportunity to explore a new topic and talk to a different person. Working for The Collegian has shown me the importance of leaving your comfort zone and chasing new challenges.

With each piece, I was able to immerse myself in the local community and learn so much about this amazing city. It was inspiring to be surrounded by so many talented and motivated students and to see the start of many successful careers. 

Thank you to everyone who read my articles. I hope you enjoyed my pieces and perhaps even learned something. Working for The Collegian has taught me so much and allowed me to find my passion for storytelling. My favorite articles to write were the Seriouslys, where I was able to tell stupid jokes. Even if just one person read those articles and laughed, then it was worth it. 

The four years I have spent in Fort Collins have been nothing short of chaotic. I have changed my major several times, left CSU and returned, seen numerous scandals and experienced the world shutdown. Despite all this chaos, I would not change a thing because it has led me to where I am today. As I reflect on my time here at CSU and The Collegian, I can confidently say my only regret is that I did not start sooner.

Aaron Peck can no longer be reached at letters@collegian.com but can be on Twitter @Aa_peck7.