Bourland: To all who have allowed me to see further

Collegian | Cat Blouch

Luke Bourland, Photo Director

Editor’s Note: Traditionally, graduating seniors working at The Collegian are given the chance to write a farewell note at the end of their tenure at CSU.

Coming from someone who always has a lot to say (for better or worse), I struggled severely to sit down and write this goodbye column. The Collegian has had an immeasurable impact on my college career, and three years later, I now run the same desk I joined as an inexperienced photographer.

In my three years, I have had not only the immense honor of working alongside some incredibly talented photographers but also everyone I saw come and go throughout my tenure at The Collegian

Many may look at The Collegian and see just another student newspaper, while anyone who has had the honor of working at The Collegian will know it is so much more — it truly is a bond like no other that I am happy to have shared with so many talented individuals.

“Sure, my personal accolades have been highlights of my college career, but the truly incredible part of The Collegian was to see the beginning of so many blossoming passions and careers.”

My time at The Collegian started under Matt Tackett and Anna von Pechmann, who were great leaders and saw potential in me that I didn’t even see in myself. These two individuals fostered talent I had no idea I had, letting me shoot my first football game as a sophomore and relatively new photographer on the desk.

After moving on and up in the hierarchy, I had the pleasure of working alongside Devin Cornelius and Tri Duong. Devin and I were what you may call the sports beat photographers of the photo desk, competing with each other on assignments for a chance at the cover photo and always slapping the other on the back when they got it.

Tri ran the desk with me as photo editor and showed me what it meant to be a true investigative journalist, along with the guidance of Jill Mott. Last but certainly not least, there is Lucy Morantz. Lucy is a talented photographer like no one else I have ever known. While not only honored to be able to call her a friend, I am thrilled I have had a chance to witness the beginning of what will undoubtedly be an exceptional career for Lucy.

In the end, that is the best part of The Collegian in my eyes. Sure, my personal accolades have been highlights of my college career, but the truly incredible part of The Collegian was to see the beginning of so many blossoming passions and careers.

Luckily, my friendships and connections at The Collegian extend far beyond the photo desk. First on the list is a true friend that put up with way more than they ever should have had to, and that is the previous night editor, Renee Ziel. Renee not only offered incredible education to me in every facet of AP Style but also offered a friendship that continues well past graduation.

In the same realm, Rachel Baschnagel and Lauren Pallemaerts have continued this relationship with the copy desk, fielding my endless questions with a (sometimes begrudging) smile on their faces. What I can now admit (as they are the ones who will edit this) is that many of my endless questions I probably knew the answer to — but just wanted an excuse to bother them and chat.

In addition to the copy desk, Amy Noble and Falyn Sebastian have continued a trend of designers and photographers sticking together. After many late nights during production, I can also confidently say that Falyn will (and Amy has) accomplish(ed) great things. 

I am hesitant to mention my successes at The Collegian because in my eyes, it has nothing to do with my experience at The Collegian. My cover photos and photo stories in print have been a true honor but have never been why I did what I did. Being in a role of leadership, I have instead focused on trying to lift up everyone around me and witness the greatness that everyone can achieve when given the right amount of encouragement and support.

I know everyone at The Collegian is destined for great things. I think my sentiments regarding this are best summed up by a quote from Isaac Newton displayed outside Albert C. Yates Hall on our campus: “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”

While I may not be very tall, everyone I have worked with have been titans.

Luke Bourland was the photo director and can no longer be reached at photo@collegian.com but can be reached on Twitter @magungo44.