ASCSU elects speaker pro tempore, swears in new directors

Collegian | Connor McHugh

Associated Students of Colorado State University Senator Brandon Baum stands at the podium of the senate chamber during the meeting Jan. 26. Baum presented himself as one of four candidates running for the speaker pro tempore position.

Piper Russell, News Reporter

The Associated Students of Colorado State University met for their 17th session on Feb. 9. ASCSU swore in a new senator, ratified a new director of academics and deputy director of marketing and elected a new speaker pro tempore.

Caroline Epperson was sworn in as a senator for the College of Health and Human Sciences.

University Affairs Committee Chair Evan Welch spoke about how senate leadership had asked Speaker of the Senate Kyle Hill to resign as speaker due to incidents in the fall and spring semesters involving the principles of community, ASCSU code of ethics and senate bylaws and the speaker’s financial irresponsibility.

Welch said Hill spent $600 from the ASCSU senate leadership fund, which is “traditionally used by senate leadership as a whole to be able to give back to the senate body in a meaningful way.” Welch also said Hill didn’t submit a winter accountability report.

“The speaker has promised improvements since September of 2021,” Welch said. “Senate leadership has not been satisfied by the minimal improvement we have noted in the past two semesters. We have allowed the speaker 23 weeks to fulfill their promises of improvement.”

Hill declined the offer of resignation. However, Hill did make a list of changes he will make to be a better speaker.

ASCSU voted to remove Hill as speaker for the night.

Later, Mahamoud Ahmed was unanimously ratified as the director of academics. Ahmed is a senior political science student at CSU and is minoring in political communications and global studies. Ahmed is also interning at the Denver state capitol with the legislator and working on education policies.

“He’s super well versed in academics, has a lot of passion and we’re super excited for him to be joining our team,” said Carter Reiter, chief of staff.

“I want to have a lasting impact here at CSU not just as director of academics but ASCSU as a whole,” Ahmed said. “I want us to have a direct impact on students’ education and academics here at CSU.”

Meron Siyoum was unanimously ratified as the deputy director of marketing. Siyoum is a sophomore studying journalism and media communication with a minor in business. Siyoum is also a resident assistant and marketing coordinator for Africans United and has managed social media profiles and created content.

“She has extensive experience in the marketing field and has decided to use her skills to enhance ASCSU’s media presence, and we’re super excited to have her on the team as well,” Reiter said.

“I personally think through marketing through social media — something that we all use nowadays — that I can put the spotlight on everything that ASCSU is doing and just everything that the CSU campus has to offer,” Siyoum said.

ASCSU also held elections for speaker pro tempore. Candidates included Senator Brandon Baum, Senator Elijah Sandoval and Parliamentarian Jackson Hunter.

Baum is a senior business student at CSU and is on the Board for Student Organization Funding and Budgetary Committee. Baum is involved in Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Alpha Lambda honor society, the finance club, real estate club and Toastmasters International.

When asked how he would help maintain a positive environment in ASCSU, Baum spoke about how positivity comes from the senate.

“Most of the positivity comes from y’all,” Baum said. “I do see the fire in your eyes and the passion in your hearts to be in this position.”

Sandoval is a senator for the First Generation Student Collective Board. Sandoval transferred from a community college in Lakewood, Colorado, where she participated in student government, worked with admissions, the college’s president, students themselves and was involved in the National Society of Leadership and Success and State Student Advisory Council.

“I will work hard for the student body of Colorado State University,” Sandoval said. “I will work hard for ASCSU.”

Hunter serves as ASCSU’s parliamentarian.

“I want everyone to be comfortable in the procedure that we’re using, and I want everyone to feel comfortable with one another in this space,” Hunter said. “I kind of just want to encourage open conversation.”

Baum won the election and was sworn in as speaker pro tempore.

“I have passion here at ASCSU just to fill in this position that has been vacant for many months now,” Baum said. “And not only that but I have read the Constitution, the Robert’s rules, bylaws and job description. … I would like to be here to help out y’all as much as possible in terms of your legislation and just see what magic y’all can bring up.”

Reach Piper Russell at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @PiperRussell10.