Health precautions sideline CAM the Ram for another semester

CAM the Ram looks at the camera before running out ahead of the football team in the Rams football 38-21 loss to the Air Force Falcons on Nov. 16, 2019. (Gregory James | The Collegian)

CTV News: Ren Wadsworth

Michael Stella

CAM the Ram will not be making any in-person appearances around campus this semester due to COVID-19 restrictions and health concerns. 

CAM the Ram, who recently turned 67, is taken care of by a team of student volunteers known as the Ram Handlers and is owned by the Alumni Center, which has decided it is safest for everyone if CAM does not make any appearances this semester. 

Students and fans would usually see CAM the Ram at CSU community events and running across the end zone at home football games.

Due to (COVID-19) restrictions and to ensure the safety of all involved in the care and handling of CAM the Ram, he is currently not available for public appearances, and we expect that to be the case for the rest of the spring semester,” said Dani Magaña, manager of the Alumni Center Guest Relations & Event Services.

Cam is living happily on his vacation and working with trainers to keep him in good shape and prepared for events in August.” -Allysen Lower, CSU CAM the Ram care and training captain.

The COVID-19 pandemic has put a hold on any in-person training for the Ram Handlers, which has taken a toll on the team. Virtual Canvas training modules have been created to train new Ram Handlers, and small in-person group training will begin once the Ram Handlers get the clearance from the University and the Pandemic Preparedness Team. 

The Ram Handlers expect CAM to make appearances again starting in August.

“CAM is living happily on his vacation and working with trainers to keep him in good shape and prepared for events in August,” said Allysen Lower, CSU CAM the Ram care and training captain. 

Michael Stella can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @michaelstella.