Community reacts to off campus partying during pandemic

Although Colorado State University sent out an email that urged students to follow social distancing guidelines during the upcoming fall semester, it’s hard to know if every student follows the suggestions.

Students who live off campus, especially those who live in apartments that are targeted toward and branded for CSU students, have seen other students partying and hanging out with each other.

Dalton Armstrong, a resident at The Cottages of Fort Collins, said he often sees people partying in the apartment complex.

“Honestly, I don’t care,” Armstrong said. “If you’re worried about (COVID-19), you can stay inside or keep to yourself, but the parties are probably not helping anything.”

Armstrong said that the staff at The Cottages do try to regulate the amount of partying, especially at the pool.

“We got an email earlier this week asking us to keep parties to a minimum, and they’ll be checking at the pool,” Armstrong said. “There’s a max amount of people that can come in, and they won’t let anyone else come in. They’re doing their part.”

Armstrong said that when it came to house parties, however, the complex doesn’t regulate as much.

“College kids are gonna be college kids,” Armstrong said. “They can try to stop (the parties), but they’re still gonna happen.”

Armstrong said The Cottages are doing everything on their part to comply with the laws, but it’s hard for them to control the actions of every student living at the complex.

With CSU’s social distancing guidelines, students might expect CSU to take action against partying in off-campus, CSU-branded apartments, but not all of these are affiliated with CSU.

“These apartment complexes, … such as The Cottages, Campus Crossing at Ram’s Pointe and Ram’s Village, have no association with the school, even though they sound like they do,” Leif Blessing, who works with Off-Campus Life, wrote in an email to The Collegian. “The only off-campus apartments owned by CSU are Aggie Village, University Village and the International House.”

According to the Housing and Dining Services website, University apartments, such as the Aggie Village Apartments and University Village Apartments, have guidelines to keep students from gathering.

If you’re worried about (COVID-19), you can stay inside or keep to yourself, but the parties are probably not helping anything.” -Dalton Armstrong, resident at The Cottages

“Non-resident guests are prohibited until the pandemic is over, including residents of other buildings and family members, except in the lobby areas,” the website reads. “All lobby guests are required to wear masks and physically distance (6 feet apart). Only guests from within the floor/wing/building/complex are permitted (in apartments).”

Students are also advised to leave the apartments when a staff member must enter the apartment to fix something, but staff members will wear masks and stay 6 feet apart from a student if they cannot leave.

University apartments also have quarantine spaces if a student were to get sick with COVID-19 while living in the apartment.

“Students who need this service will be temporarily moved to a private room/apartment for the duration of the quarantine or self-isolation period,” the website reads. Services such as meal delivery will be provided. There are no additional charges associated with quarantine or self-isolation services.”

Ceci Taylor can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @cecelia_twt.