Colorado Bike MS to roll through Fort Collins June 25-26

Randi Mattox

Colorado Bike MS, a fundraiser that raises over $4 million annually for the autoimmune disease Multiple Sclerosis (MS), will take place June 25-26. Participants will purchase passes for a guided bike ride through parts of Colorado, and all proceeds will benefit MS research, programs and services.

Photo Courtesty- bicyclecolorado.org
Photo Courtesy of bicyclecolorado.org

Colorado Bike MS provides participants with the option of two one-day routes and four two-day routes.

The one-day routes include a 30 and 50-mile ride that will both start and finish at CSU. The one-day routes will take place on Saturday June 25 only.

The two-day routes include a 65-mile express route, a 73-mile classic route that climbs over Horsetooth Reservoir, a 100-mile century course and a 124-mile double metric century course. The two-day courses will begin on Saturday June 25 at Front Range Community College in Westminster and end on Sunday June 26 at the same location.

Those participating in the two-day routes will need to book lodging in Fort Collins for Saturday June 25. Days Inn Fort Collins, La Quinta Inn, Motel 6 Fort Collins, America’s Best Value Inn and Suites, Super 8 Fort Collins, Comfort Suites, Cambria Suites and Candlewood Suites still have available rooms. 

All of the routes will have rest stops every 10-12 miles, a scheduled lunch, medical personnel, HAM radio operators, law enforcement and motorcycle escorts. Passes for the two-day routes are $95, and passes for the one-day routes are $75.

Colorado Bike MS will offer multiple volunteer opportunities.

Volunteer jobs include:

• Managing the entry and exit points at the Beer Garden
  • Checking bikes in and out of the bike corral
  • Managing trash and recycling
  • Cheering on participants at the start and finish lines
  • Stocking and serving drinks to participants
  • Assisting with luggage
  • Directing participants to parking spots
  • Assisting with registration and check-in
  • Setting up and staffing the rest stops
  • Providing safety and direction for riders as a Route Marshal
  • Unloading and setting up items at the base camp and venue site

All volunteers receive food and drinks, custom volunteer t-shirts and overnight accommodations for those who work two or more shifts.

Colorado Bike MS has raised nearly $2 million already. Click here to register as a volunteer or purchase a riding pass, and help Colorado Bike MS reach their projected goal of $4 million.

Collegian Arts and Culture Editor Randi Mattox can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @randimattox.