Game day plans for on campus stadium presented to ASCSU

Facilities Management presented game-day plans for the on-campus stadium to the Associated Students of Colorado State University at their weekly Senate meeting Wednesday night. Fred Haberecht, the assistant director and university planner for Facilities Management, said facilities plans to implement a “Re-park Program” on game day that would require up to 2,500 on campus residential students to move their vehicle out of residence hall parking lots.

“Ultimately, that person would be towed (if they did not move their vehicle out of the lot),” Haberecht said. “There needs to be a change of culture that embraces game day. Towing a car would be the last resort.”

Several ASCSU members expressed concern over how the program would be implemented and how students would be compensated for moving their car.

“We’ve heard it would be a very positive thing to have an incentive to move the car,” Haberecht said.

ASCSU representatives also asked Haberecht to consider reducing the price of parking passes in order to compensate students for being asked to move their vehicles the day before each of the six scheduled Saturday home football games.

“Coming from representatives of the student body, we would prefer some sort of compensation for moving (our vehicles) during those hours,” ASCSU President Jason Sydoriak said. “There should probably be a study, but initially I would say a reduced (parking permit) rate would be preferred for those students.”

The parking lots that are the closest to the stadium will be reserved for season ticket holders. Haberecht predicts the split of transportation to the game to be:

• 22,000 people by car, 8,500 cars (assume 2.6 people per car)
  • 10,000 walking
  • 5,000 by transit
  • 2,600 on campus residents walking

In addition to the “Re-park Program,” on game day, some lots will become $20 cash lots. According to Haberecht, profits from the cash lots will go to game day management and to the Athletics Department. There will be open alcohol consumption areas on campus during game day, restricted to certain tailgating zones, Haberecht said.

Collegian Reporter Erin Douglas can be reached at news@collegian.com or on twitter @erinmdouglas23.