Alternative transportation options for spring break travelers

Aside from begging a ride off of a friend or using one’s own car, many transportation options are available when traveling from Colorado State University this spring break.

Aaron Fodge, CSU’s alternative transportation manager, said that when finding transportation for spring break traveling, “anything that requires a reservation should be done as soon as possible.”

Options for getting to Denver are plentiful. The Bustang bus service offers routes from the Fort Collins Downtown Transit Center to Denver Union Station daily. Bustang also services RamRoute, which takes students from campus to Union Station on Friday afternoons and from Union Station to CSU on Sunday afternoons. Reservations and schedules can be found on its website.

Zhané Gilmore, a freshman human development and family studies student, said this about her experience with Bustang: “They had WiFi and plugs and stops were close to each other, making it very convenient.”

FLEX is a regional service that provides transportation to Boulder, Longmont, Loveland, Berthoud and Fort Collins. It is free for students and faculty with a RamCard. The Flex runs along the Max corridor, and riders can connect to the Regional Transportation District. Unlike Bustang, FLEX doesn’t offer reservations, so it is important arrive early to ensure a spot. Routes and schedules are available online.

Two shuttle services, Green Ride and Super Shuttle, provide transportation to and from Denver International Airport. Both can either pick patrons up at the CSU Transit Center or at a private residence, although it is less expensive to meet at the CSU Transit Center or any of the hotels the shuttles service. Green Ride offers a discount to CSU students when an online reservation is made with the promo code “CSU.”

Kevin McGough, a freshman fish, wildlife and conversation biology student, said Green Ride “is an easy ride to the airport.”

Other options for students to get home include the Greyhound bus, which has a station in Fort Collins.

Students can also rent cars from Zipcar or Enterprise during spring break. Fodge recommends that those who want to use Zipcar “sign up now so you are approved to drive over break.”

Zipcar has cars on campus that can be rented at an hourly rate or per day, and CSU students can get a 5 percent discount at Enterprise with the code XZ12434. Students must be 21 years old to rent a car through Enterprise, and the price varies by the size of car. 

While there are many transportation options for those traveling home for break, some find it easier to use their own cars.

“Using my own car is the quickest and most convenient way for me to get there,” senior music major Schyler Vargas said.

Collegian Reporter Erin Krigger can be reached online at news@collegian.com or via Twitter @littleEkrig.