‘Scream Queers’ drag show to get audience’s blood rushing

PRISM of Colorado State University is calling for audiences to bring their biggest scream to this semester’s drag show. “Scream Queers!” will take place at the Lory Student Center Grand Ballroom Sunday, Oct. 20 at 5 p.m. Bring your vampire fangs and candy bags because this semester’s spooky-time show will be horror movie themed.

According to PRISM Vice President and Producer Mira Pusateri, this show is promised to be one of the largest drag shows in the event’s 10+ year history, with an estimated 1,300-1,400 attendees. The show will feature a total of 25 performers, both professional and student.

“It is a huge beacon of representation and pride for the queer community,” Pusateri said. “It’s the largest LGBTQ+ event hosted on campus; it is the only fundraising event for the LGBTQ+ scholarship that the Pride Resource Center offers.” 

This semester’s show will also be the last for Director Roan O’Brien, who performs as Lola Gag, who has directed for the last three years. Some of the guest features will include “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars” season 4 winner Monet X Change, Denver queen Evelyn Evermoore and Denver queen Jessica L’Whor, who previously directed the show.

According to O’Brien, this drag show is the largest university drag show in the state of Colorado.

The event helps to introduce the whole campus, especially newer students, to the LGBTQ+ community at CSU. It also provides a safe space for students who may have considered performing in drag but may not have had a proper opportunity to do so, according to O’Brien.

The event also serves as an important source of fundraising for the Pride Center, which works to create a safe, inclusive space for LGBTQ+ students at CSU. 

The doors for the show open at 5 p.m., but O’Brien advises to arrive earlier, as they expect lines to begin forming at 2 p.m. He also suggested bringing plenty of cash for tipping, which will go to supporting the Pride Center.

“(The drag show) is another way of saying we’re here, and we’re not going anywhere,” O’Brien said.

Ty Davis can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @TyDavisACW.