Dead and Company to perform at Folsom Field

The “long, strange trip” officially continues — the Grateful Dead spinoff band Dead and Company recently announced their 2016 summer tour, which includes two shows at Folsom Field in Boulder July 2 and 3.

Dead and Company formed after the highly successful “Fare Thee Well” concerts performed by the remaining members of the Grateful Dead in the summer of 2015.

The Grateful Dead is one of the most beloved bands in the history of rock music. With chart-topping hits like “Friend of the Devil” and “Scarlet Begonias,” the Grateful Dead’s music was the soundtrack of the 1960s and 1970s. Their unique sound generated an unprecedented following that still exists today.

The “Fare Thee Well” concerts that were in celebration of the Grateful Dead’s 50th anniversary were publicized as the last time that the Grateful Dead would play together. After the final “Fare Thee Well” performance at Soldier’s Field in Chicago, Grateful Dead fans, also known as “dead heads,” demonstrated their devastation toward the official end of the band. This pushed the members to reconsider ending their performances, which eventually led to the formation of Dead and Company.

Dead and Company consists of former Grateful Dead members Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann, along with John Mayer, former Allman Brothers Band bass guitarist Oteil Burbridge and Jeff Chimenti.

Dead and Company is expected to perform covers of popular Grateful Dead music and songs from their recently-released album “Going Places” during their summer tour.

Tickets and VIP travel packages for the Folsom Fields concert are available at deadandcompany.com.

Collegian Reporter Randi Mattox can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @randimattox.