5 quick, quirky scholarships

Randi Mattox

There are multiple ways to ease the financial burden of college. But, one route that tends to be more entertaining than others is applying for non-merit based scholarships. These are contests that award students money for school on the basis of a talent or skill. These scholarships are easy to apply for and don’t take a lot of work. Here are five non-merit based scholarships offered to current college students that are easy and fun to apply for:

via GIPHY

1. Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship

Award Amount: $2,000

Deadline: 10/31/16

Availability: College freshman through seniors

The Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship is perfect for anyone who is well versed in zombie survival. Applicants must submit a short essay that explains what they would do if zombies took over CSU.

The scholarship will be awarded to the applicant with the best survival plan. Applicants are encouraged to get creative and not limited to writing about realistic or practical survival tactics

2. Common Knowledge Scholarship Foundation Scholarship Competition

Award Amount: $2,500

Deadline: Varies

Availability: College freshman through graduate students

The Common Knowledge Scholarship Foundation Scholarship Competition is for those students who have an unusual amount of knowledge about random things. To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must participate in a quiz that tests common knowledge as well as academic knowledge. The quiz will be graded on accuracy and time. The student with the highest score in each grade will win.

3. Make Me Laugh Scholarship

Award Amount: $1,500

Deadline: 8/1/16

The only requirement applicants must meet to be considered for the Make Me Laugh Scholarship is to make the judges laugh. To apply for this contest, applicants must submit a short story, true or false, that is funny. The funniest story will win the scholarship.

4. Ice Cream Flavor of the Month Scholarship

Award Amount: $1,500

Deadline: 7/31/16

The Ice Cream Flavor of the Month Scholarship will be awarded to the applicant who best answers the question, “If you were an ice cream flavor, which would you be and why?” Applicants are encouraged to either describe how they meet the characteristics of an existing ice cream flavor or to create their own flavor.

5. Twitter Scholarship

Award Amount: $1,400 for winner, $140 for second and third place

Deadline: 10/1/16

The Twitter Scholarship will be awarded to the applicant who can best explain how Twitter can be used to make the world a better place in 140 characters or less. Applicants must have a Twitter account to apply for this scholarship.

Collegian Reporter Randi Mattox can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @randimattox.