Four stores to buy Tour de Fat costumes

Fort Collins’ favorite unofficial holiday, Tour de Fat, comes to the city Saturday. In addition to beer and bikes, the event brings out wacky, fun costumes.

New Belgium gives awards for the best costume at the event. Additionally, tweet a picture of your costume to @CollegianC for a shoutout from the Collegian. 

Creative writing major, Kevin Chow, shoots people on their bikes with his water gun as they ride by during the annual Fort Collins Tour de Fat August 2013.
Creative writing major Kevin Chow shoots people on their bikes with his water gun as they ride by during the annual Fort Collins Tour de Fat August 2013. (Collegian file photo)

For those of you wanting to get creative this weekend, here are four spots you can costume shop:

1. Party City 

A typical spot for fun supplies, Party City sells specific costumes that require little effort on your part. From ’20s flappers to pirate characters, Party City has a wide variety of options. Additionally, they sell wigs, hats and other accessories to make your costume ideal.

2. Wear it again, Sam

Located in Old Town, this vintage clothing store offers unique pieces of clothing, ranging from eccentric to classic. They also have over 100 costumes available for rent.

International studies major, Beatriz Urrulia, shows some true Tour de Fat spirit August 2013.
International studies major Beatriz Urrulia shows some true Tour de Fat spirit August 2013. (Collegian file photo)

3. Brand Spanking Used 

Search through the racks at this Fort Collins thrift shop to find outlandish pieces to build your own costume. Though the store sells costumes in their “fun and funky section,” your best bet is finding your own unique pieces to compile into a great piece.

4. Eco-thrift

The official thrift store of Tour de Fat, Eco-thrift is a volunteer-run store located at 314 N. Howes St. The store sells clothing that is bound to make your costume extra special.

Collegian A&E Editor Hannah Ditzenberger can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @h_ditzenberger.