CSU volleyball announces their spring schedule, full of notable opponents

Sergio Santistevan

One of Colorado State University’s premiere and most successful athletic programs is ready to return to the court, as CSU volleyball announced their spring schedule, which includes some heavy-hitters.

Women's Volleyball win Mountain West Champion title
At the end of their game Saturday night, the Women’s Volleyball team proudly showed off their new title of Mountain West Champions

Coming off of a 23-8 season, a Mountain West Championship and another NCAA Tournament appearance, the Rams will look to see if their team has grown from last season.

CSU will begin their spring schedule in Salt Lake City, Utah when they compete in a weekend tournament on March 30. Likely opponents for the Rams in the tournament are the University of Utah and Brigham Young University.

Both the Utes and Cougars qualified for the 2018 NCAA tournament a season ago, with the Cougars eliminating the Utes in the second round. BYU went on to make a run to the Final Four before losing to eventual champion, Stanford University.

The Rams will then return back to their home-state and they will face the University of Colorado, Boulder in Boulder on April 4. Last season, CU defeated CSU in four sets in the same arena. CU lost in the first round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament to the University of South Carolina in five sets. 

After the visit to Boulder, the Rams will return to Moby Arena on April 13 to play against the University of Wyoming. The Cowgirls and Rams split their season series and the Cowgirls were seen as potential Mountain West contender by CSU Head Coach Tom Hilbert. 

the coach talks to two players
Coach Tom Hilbert talks to Katie Oleksak and Breanna Runnels during a timeout in the game against UNC WIllmington. (Ashley Potts | Collegian)

One week later, the Rams will face yet another Final Four team in the University of Nebraska in McCook, Nebraska. Last season, the Cornhuskers were one set away from being crowned the national champions.

CSU will look to build off their success in 2018 by returning every player from last season’s squad.

Sergio Santistevan can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TheRealsSergio.