New uniforms bring a modern look to CSU football

CSU football unveiled their new look last Wednesday, releasing the team’s new Under Armour uniforms.

The combos include green and white tops, plus green, white and gold pants – allowing for several combination possibilities and bringing a new and improved look to the football program. Along with the different color combos, the uniforms will all be custom fit for each player, which looks much sleeker than the previous generic uniforms.

“I was excited we were able to get new uniforms,” head coach Mike Bobo said. “When I got here, I thought we looked a little sloppy in our uniforms. They didn’t fit right. (Now) I think we look great. They fit the guys. You know the old saying, look good, feel good, play good.” 

The highlight of the uniform is the Ram horn bone logo on the sleeve of the jerseys. The sleeve patch is hands down the best addition to the football uniforms. The previous uniforms had generic blank sleeves and honestly looked like something a high school team would wear. Adding the Ram horn to the sleeve highlights one of the unique aspects of the CSU logo, while also bringing a more modern and updated look to the uniform.

Along with the new custom-fit home and away uniforms, CSU will continue to have their “orange out” uniforms, which they will wear on Ag Day and will release new alternate uniforms with Under Armour in the near future.

Uniforms play a vital role in the modern arms race for recruiting, so it is good to see CSU football getting a look that will match the new on-campus stadium. “If you act like it does not matter, you are the ones who will be left behind,” Bobo said, referencing how uniforms contribute to the success of a program.

With the new look, CSU managed to stay true to the roots of the program, while bringing a much needed modern look.

Bringing back the vegas gold pants reminds fans of the Sonny Lubick era when Colorado State football saw consistent success for over a decade. The all-green look is a classic CSU combo, that the team has not worn since 2008 against BYU. The infamous game when Joey Porter ran into the endzone and chest bumped running back Gartrell Johnson. According to coach Bobo, the all-green look is the player’s favorite new look.

The horn helmet has been apart of the Colorado State look through essentially every era of CSU football. Some would say it is one of the iconic helmets in college football, like Michigan or Texas. That may be a bit of a leap, but it is definitely one of the more unique helmets in all of college football and it’s pleasing to see that element stay true to form. 

Colorado State has never been a national powerhouse in college football, but the program has seen success and has it’s own proud history to commemorate. With new uniforms, a new stadium and dreams of a new conference, CSU football is all around unrecognizable from where it was just five years ago.

Collegian sports reporter Justin Michael can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @JustinTMichael.