Our View: Ram fans didn’t come to play Saturday

7,264.

That’s the number of empty seats there were Saturday night as the Colorado State football team rolled to its eighth-consecutive win with a 49-22 drubbing of Hawaii. Junior running back Dee Hart ran for 115 yards on 11 carries, Charles Lovett caught four passes for 134 yards and senior quarterback Garrett Grayson carved up the Rainbow Warriors’ defense to the tune of 278 passing yards and four touchdowns.

But yet, nearly one-fourth of Hughes Stadium was empty as the best CSU team in more than a decade continued its record-setting roll. So what’s the deal, Ram fans? On one of the last nice fall days we will likely have this year, 7,264 people didn’t come back to Hughes after its second-consecutive sellout two weeks ago against Wyoming. Colorado State football is nationally relevant for the first time in more than a decade and yet they still cannot even sell out their out their own stadium.

Don’t get us wrong, that isn’t all on the students, but even that side of the stadium was only three-fourths full. This record-breaking team has just one guaranteed home game left this season in two weeks against New Mexico. It’s a chance to say goodbye to one of the best senior classes in Ram football history and to witness one of the best teams this school has ever had. Teams like this don’t come around very often at CSU, and it’s time we paid them their due.

Collegian Editorial Board can be reached at letters@collegian.com.