Stoner studies: The connection between creativity, weed

Collegian | Trin Bonner

Miles Buchan, Staff Reporter

For decades, stoners and scientists alike have pondered the question, “Can weed cause one to be more creative?”

Whether you’re a cannabis user who is convinced of the link between the two or a straight-edge skeptic looking for an honest answer, I will give you my objective findings based on research instead of experience. Without building suspense, the answer is maybe not surprising: It’s complicated.

To answer this question, it is important to establish a few specifics. Let’s start with what is meant by creativity. Britannica defines creativity as, “The ability to make or otherwise bring into existence something new, whether a new solution to a problem, a new method or device or a new artistic object or form.”

It is also worth noting the studies discussed in this article differentiate divergent creativity, which is the thinking of many different answers or solutions, and convergent creativity, which is thinking of one fixed answer or solution.

“This could be the biological association between cannabis and creativity, as dopamine is released in the same area of the brain that hosts creative thought.”

It is indisputable that many positive, nonmedicinal effects of using cannabis have been reported and observed; however, these experiences have been subjective and mostly unmeasurable. Included in these reported effects are states of euphoria, relaxation, mental insight, improved thought processes and enhanced creativity.

In studies made to test the relationship between cannabis and creativity, the outcomes and conclusions are mixed. In one study published in 2017 that examined the correlation between cannabis, mood and creativity, researchers explored the effects of being high and participating in a series of activities designed to test one’s objective creative abilities and subjective creative experiences in comparison to individuals who had hardly ever consumed cannabis.

The conclusion of this study states the correlation between cannabis use and creativity is tenuous, and this perceived link could be distorted by the user’s bias perception and memories of creative undertakings. However, this same study points out the potential but unsubstantiated link between consuming cannabis and a rise in dopamine levels. If this connection were more defined, then this could be the biological association between cannabis and creativity, as dopamine is released in the same area of the brain that hosts creative thought.

Another study published in “Consciousness and Cognition” explored this relationship through various means. 721 participants were included in this study, both cannabis users and nonusers. Intended to build upon previous research, this study asked participants to engage with different tests that measured aspects of creativity.

Results from these tests show cannabis users scored similarly in divergent thinking but outperformed the group of nonusers in convergent thinking.

This is an interesting outcome as it conflicts with the previous studies reported, which found cannabis users had higher rates of divergent thinking and slightly lower rates of convergent thinking. This study concludes creativity and creative ability are likely attributable to differences in personality rather than cannabis use.

It was observed in this study that most cannabis-using participants had personality differences from nonusers such as on average being more extroverted, significantly more open to new experiences and significantly lower in conscientiousness. That is to say, it’s not been proven that cannabis itself fosters creativity, but instead, it is more likely associated with individual characteristics and personality types.

Reach Miles Buchan at cannabis@collegian.com or on Twitter @buchanmiles.

View Comments(1)
  • Newly popular cannabinoid CBN shows treatment potential

Cannabis

Newly popular cannabinoid CBN shows treatment potential

• Strain Review: Ease your mind with Durban Kush wax

Cannabis

Strain Review: Ease your mind with Durban Kush wax

• Because I got high: A camping miracle, movie trip, golf steroids

Because I Got High

Because I got high: A camping miracle, movie trip, golf steroids

• Weed to Know: 5 phrases to help you grind in with the smoke sesh

Cannabis

Weed to Know: 5 phrases to help you grind in with the smoke sesh

• Strain Review: Enjoying Sour Diesel, fueling the high in every puff

Cannabis

Strain Review: Enjoying Sour Diesel, fueling the high in every puff

• Strain Review: Mishawaka Jazz Cabbage: Poudre Canyon musical high

Cannabis

Strain Review: Mishawaka Jazz Cabbage: Poudre Canyon musical high

• Strain Review: Point Break, Dixie, Binske made spiritual Easter Sunday

Cannabis

Strain Review: Point Break, Dixie, Binske made spiritual Easter Sunday

• NoCo knows how to celebrate 4/20 in more strains than 1

Cannabis

NoCo knows how to celebrate 4/20 in more strains than 1

• Cannabis growth of wedding cake, an indica strain at the Organic Alternative growth facility Feb. 3.

Cannabis

Mota para conocer: ¿Significa algo la variedad o el tipo de cannabis?

• Cannabis plants with advance water sprinkler that operates at set interval times at the Organic Alternative growth facility Feb. 3. Each row of plants are easily movable to allow walking space like a library bookshelf system.

Cannabis

How the cannabis industry is staying sustainable

• S

Shawn Gold, CEO Pilgrim SoulFeb 2, 2023 at 7:22 am

Full disclosure – I am the author of the Pilgrim Soul Journal on creative thinking.
    Thank you for defining creativity and separating divergent vs. convergent thinking. Much of the research on cannabis and creativity misses the point of how cannabis contributes to the creative process. In one recent Harvard Business Review article, researchers gave cannabis to one set of people and then no cannabis to the control group – and asked them to come up with creative uses for a brick. That would only make sense as a creativity test if everyone they tested was a Mason. Ideation is just one aspect of creativity, and even that is about combining and reshuffling domain knowledge. Asking people to be creative while high about something they know nothing about or don’t care about is just dumb. Creativity is also about empathy, making non-linear connections, and seeing things from another perspective.
    Cannabis has been used by artists, scientists, and thinkers for thousands of years to help provide the proper mindset to express new ideas. It allows you to live in the moment and embrace new thoughts as they come to you. People feel less inhibited on cannabis because they can relax and connect more deeply with themselves and their surroundings.
    Using cannabis does not mean that all of your ideas will be great ones, but that is not the point. The point of creativity is to create. Having one great idea out of ten is better than having no ideas, or several highly inhibited ideas.

1