How to spend your first summer in Colorado

Many students just moved to Colorado in August for the start of the school year. And for those students, only three weeks stands between them and their first summer in Colorado. There are too many summer activities in Colorado to name because it perhaps the best state to be in for exploration, adventure and entertainment. But here are five things you must do if it’s your first summer in Colorado:

1. Go camping in the mountains.

Photo by: Randi Mattox
Photo by: Randi Mattox

This is basically a requirement for anyone living in Colorado during the summer. Camping is an inexpensive and highly accessible activity in Colorado. And although it is a pretty common activity in other states, when you camp in Colorado it always feels special because you are surrounded by beautiful mountains.  

2. Experience the Denver Zoo. 

Photo Courtesy: wikipedia.org
Photo Courtesy: wikipedia.org

The Denver Zoo is a renowned Colorado destination. Founded in 1896, the zoo is known for its rich history. It is one of the largest zoos in the country and has over 80 acres of exhibits. The zoo is also known for its unique enclosures including the Toyota Elephant Passage and the Primate Panorama.

4. Go shopping at Pearl Street Mall.

Photo Courtesy: colorado.com
Photo Courtesy: colorado.com

Everything in Colorado celebrates the outdoor lifestyle. Even its most popular shopping venue is outside.

Pearl Street Mall is a four block pedestrian shopping center in Boulder. And in addition to its popular stores like Urban Outfitters, Alex and Ani and American Apparel, Pearl Street Mall is filled with unique restaurants, live music and art displays.

4. Visit Rocky Mountain National Park.

Photo Courtesy: Collegian File Photo
Photo Courtesy: Collegian File Photo

Rocky Mountain National Park is one of Colorado’s most beloved adventure locations. If you are looking to completely immerse yourself in Colorado’s nature scene, Rocky Mountain National Park is the perfect place to go. The park offers countless hiking opportunities, camping venues and lakeside views. 

5. See a concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater.

Photo courtesy of edmmaniac.com
Photo courtesy of edmmaniac.com

Red Rocks Amphitheater is arguably the most beautiful concert venue in the country. Located 10 miles north of Denver, Red Rocks Amphitheatre is an open-air amphitheater nestled inside of Red Rocks Park.

The venue is completely surrounded by unique rock structures. You really can’t get the experience you will have at Red Rocks Amphitheatre anywhere else. And you will definitely have an easy time finding a concert you’ll like. This summer’s lineup features multiple popular bands including ZZ Top and Modest Mouse.

Collegian Reporter Randi Mattox can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @randimattox.