Spring drag show ‘DRAGged Through the Decades’ Sunday in LSC

Drag shows are not just for queens, but for kings too. At least for Hayley Wilson, a senior biology and psychology major who breaks the stereotype by dressing as a drag king for her performances at Colorado State University’s bi-annual drag show.

“It’s a fun and easy way to experience a different subculture and also celebrate the variations of gender and sexuality,” Wilson said. “It’s a great way for students to get involved if they haven’t been exposed to this community.”

Two years ago, Wilson’s friend invited her to perform in a group piece for the show, and she has been involved in every show since. However, her desire to dance and perform was sparked in high school when she was a cheerleader and dancer. Drag shows provided her that fix for performance when she got to CSU.

Daniel Wakefield poses with drag queen "Jessica l'Whor," who looks ready for the drag show on Friday night.
Daniel Wakefield poses with drag queen “Jessica l’Whor,” who looks ready for the drag show on Friday night.

The theme of this year’s show is DRAGged Through the Decades. It will be held Sunday at 6 p.m. in the Lory Student Center North Ballroom. Tickets are free and will be distributed at the door.

“The show will be bigger and better than ever, and the production will also be bigger and better than ever,” said Daniel Wakefield, one of the two directors of the show.

Nico Delgado, a junior international studies and sociology major, is the president of SOGLBT and has been involved with the drag show since the first semester of his freshman year.

“The main point (of the drag show) is to have a glimmer of queer culture at CSU,” Delgado said. “If you aren’t 21, it is hard to get a glimpse of what a drag show is like.”

For Delgado, involvement in the LGBT community at CSU has been the largest part of his college experience. He said that his involvement inspired him to make the organization better.

“I see it as an opportunity to help others in the community. It has shaped my outlook on what you find important and what I think is important, like making people feel included. I see a lot of value in that,” he said. “We try to make the space inclusive for everyone.”

In addition to her involvement in the drag show, Wilson planned Queer Prom through her job at Ram Events. This is the first official Queer Prom at CSU. According to her, the idea came from re-imagining a prom dance that is inclusive to everyone. However, there is no connection between the two events except the people involved.

“(It is) mostly just two LGBTQ events happening at the same time,” Wakefield said. “We promote both because all of us are friends and associated through the gay community.”

The first Queer Prom will take place Friday at 7 p.m., also in the LSC North ballroom. Tickets are free and are available at the box office.

Collegian A&E Writer Zara DeGroot can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @zar_degroot.