The call to action: CSU’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day march

Tri Duong, Photo Director

Editor’s Note: For easy viewing, click on the photos to move through the gallery.

• Earvin Johnson leads the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march through Fort Collins with an estimated 3,000 people Jan. 16. “I’m blessed, Black and highly favored, and I’m out here every day to represent that,” Johnson said.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Martin Luther King Jr. march participants at Washington Park in Fort Collins Jan. 16.

Collegian | Jaiden Stanford
  • Kareem Green marches through Fort Collins during the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16. “I’m here today to march for freedom, peace, unity and love for all,” Green said. “I wish everyone to come together and unite in harmony and love.”

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Colleen Simpson, Aaron Moore and James Mitchell, president of Front Range Community College and two Colorado State University football players, respectively, applaud Jeni Arndt, mayor of Fort Collins. Her speech was given at Washington Park in Fort Collins at the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16.

Collegian | Jaiden Stanford
  • Samantha Benson and Isla carry a sign through the Colorado State University parking lot at the end of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Jim, Fort Collins community member, plays a drum at the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march at Washington Park in Fort Collins Jan. 16. “I am here today because I am here every year, and everything else that is going on in this country is still not the way it should be. I just want to make sure I’m here to represent us. I also brought a drum because it keeps people in pace.”

Collegian | Jaiden Stanford
  • Kat Hitchcock marches through Fort Collins in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Jan. 16. “I’m originally from the south; I’m in the streets all the time,” Hitchcock said. “Happy to see this happening in Fort Collins — warms my heart because there are so many issues that if we don’t get loud about, silence is affirmation.”

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Asma Bushara performs a spoken word poem before the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march at Washington Park in Fort Collins Jan. 16.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Larry Holgerson marches through Fort Collins in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Jan. 16. “I run the spoken word poetry slams, and it’s important every time the community gets an opportunity to state where their hearts and minds and guts are,” Holgerson said. “This is an opportunity for us all to be a tribe and show what we all have in common.”

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • A participant holds a child on their shoulders during the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16. The Fort Collins community marched together to honor Martin Luther King Jr.

Collegian | Sophie Stern
  • A marcher holds up a handmade sign with a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. during the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16. The theme of this year’s celebration was “Violence. Oppression. Isolation. Cannot. Endure.” (V.O.I.C.E).

Collegian | Sophie Stern
  • A woman holds up an “END RACISM” sign at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16. The march was approximately 1.3 miles from Washington Park to the Lory Student Center at Colorado State University.

Collegian | Sophie Stern
  • People of all ages came and showed their support during the marchers’ gathering at the Lory Student Center at the end of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16. The celebration following the march included speeches from the Colorado State University interim president, the City of Fort Collins mayor and many more.

Collegian | Sophie Stern
  • Dylan Quayenortey, Metropolitan State University of Denver student, holds up the U.S. Constitution on the page with the 13th Amendment at the Lory Student Center Grand Ballroom Jan. 16. Quayenortey was a part of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march hosted by citizens of Larimer County.

Collegian | Jaiden Stanford
  • Elena Diaz and Alicia Diaz, Martin Luther King Jr. Day march participants, share a joyful moment with one another during Panama Soweto’s speech at the Lory Student Center Jan. 16.

Collegian | Jaiden Stanford
  • Breonna Abuya performs a spoken word poem during the speaker section of the Fort Collins Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Temple Henke, Martin Luther King Jr. Day march participant, draws an image of speaker Panama Soweto while he is speaking to the audience at the Lory Student Center Jan. 16. “I am here today to learn more about oppression and what I can do to help,” Henke said.

Collegian | Jaiden Stanford

Collegian | Jayden Stanford
  • Sherri Garrett speaks during the speaker section of the Fort Collins Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16. “I’m out here to represent the music department here at Colorado State University,” Garrett said. “I did an inclusive musical piece. I wanted to give the quiet people a voice.”

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Panama Soweto gives the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march keynote speech in the Lory Student Center Grand Ballroom at Colorado State University Jan. 16. “This holiday is not a celebration; it is a call to action,” Soweto said.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Rick Miranda, interim president of Colorado State University, gives a speech during the speaker section of the Fort Collins Martin Luther King Jr. Day march Jan. 16.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Motivational speaker Panama Soweto sets the tone for his speech during the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march at the Lory Student Center Jan. 16.

Collegian | Jaiden Stanford

Collegian | Milo Gladstein

Collegian | Milo Gladstein

Reach Milo Gladstein, Jaiden Stanford and Sophie Stern at photo@collegian.com