A member of the Colorado State University Golden Poms waits to cheer while the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff’s starting lineup is announced Nov. 12. (Collegian | Lucy Morantz)
A member of the Colorado State University Golden Poms waits to cheer while the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff’s starting lineup is announced Nov. 12.

Collegian | Lucy Morantz

Photographic excellence: The photo desk’s fall success

The semesters greatest images.

December 9, 2021

During our first semester returning to fully in-person classes, The Rocky Mountain Collegian‘s photo desk has grown to amazing numbers. Comprised of almost 30 photographers, the photo desk has taken some truly incredible pictures this year. Covering topics ranging from football games to logging sports, concerts, protests and everything in between, photographers have had their hands full, to say the least. While this gallery features 32 of the semester’s greatest pictures, it’s truly a task to narrow down the field to include anything less than 50. Presented in this gallery is a celebration of the wonderful talent The Collegian photo desk displays each and every print edition.

• Aden, Chayton and Norman from the Red Cloud Indian School test out their experiment with Brian Jones at the Colorado State University Little Shop of Physics workshop Nov. 20. The project shoots water vapor out of a drum that creates colorful puffs of smoke when lit from the front. The experiments made by the students will be put into a museum on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, as the museum requested local science projects for the displays.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Colorado State Ram Karly Murphy (42) searches for a teammate to pass the ball to during a game against the University of Louisville Cardinals Nov. 28. The Colorado State Rams lost against the Cardinals 71-56.

Collegian | Michael Giles
  • Former safety Tywan Francis (8) holds his hands up in response to a call on the field while playing Vanderbilt University Sept. 11, 2021. Colorado State University lost 24-21.

Collegian | Collegian file photo
  • Former Colorado State head coach Steve Addazio discusses a play with a referee Nov. 13. The Rams lost 35-21 against the United States Air Force Academy Falcons.

Collegian | Gregory James
  • Quinn Schneider, a Colorado State University Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps junior, wears a flight helmet equipped with night-vision goggles in front of a UH-60L Black Hawk helicopter parked on the CSU Intramural Fields Nov. 13. The helicopter was requisitioned by the CSU Army ROTC to make an appearance for military appreciation day as well as CSU’s football game against the United States Air Force Academy, which resulted in a win for Air Force 35-21.

Collegian | Garrett Mogel
  • Karson Wilson, member of the Colorado State University logging team, cuts a clean “cookie” during the stock saw event Nov. 14.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • People watch as the holiday lights are switched on Nov. 1. The lights were turned on at 6:30 p.m. and will stay on through Valentine’s Day 2022.

Collegian | Sophie Stern
  • Nate Sievers, a member of the Colorado State University logging team, practices his form for an event known as obstacle pole at a demonstration and community day Nov. 14. The team is nearly 100 years old and has won several awards throughout their years of competition.

Collegian | Garrett Mogel
  • Nicolás Muñoz, singer and guitarist, of boy pablo performs “Sick Feeling” at The Aggie Theatre Nov. 5. boy pablo is a Norwegian band best known for its 2017 hit “Everytime,” which currently has over 41 million views on YouTube.

Collegian | Michael Marquardt
  • Sky Norton uses the “wig-wag” technique on a new project at Kind Creations Nov. 9.

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Colorado State running back A’jon Vivens (1) runs the ball up the field against the United States Air Force Academy Nov. 13. The Rams lost to the Falcons 35-21.

Collegian | Gregory James
  • A member of the Colorado State University Golden Poms waits to cheer while the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff’s starting lineup is announced Nov. 12.

Collegian | Lucy Morantz
  • Bystanders dance to the Atom Collective live jazz band at the Fort Collins Old Town Square lighting ceremony Nov 5.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Community members around Fort Collins, Colorado, tune into “Finding Nemo” for a movie night event at Canvas Stadium July 9.

Collegian | Tri Duong
  • Bryan Ratcliffe, a local glass blower, creates the beginning of a mountain design in the bottom of a glass Nov. 2. Ratcliffe has an affinity for making drink ware. “I love making drink ware,” Ratcliffe said. “I like making things that people use, that get conversations started.”

Collegian | Avery Coates
  • A jazz drummer plays at the annual Old Town Square lighting ceremony Nov. 5.

Collegian | Cambria Gifford
  • Punter Ryan Stonehouse (41) watches the ball after punting it to Vanderbilt University Sept. 12.

Collegian | Luke Bourland
  • Colorado State guard Kendle Moore (3) shoots the ball against Adams State University Oct. 31. The Rams won against the visiting Grizzlies 92-55.

Collegian | Mykyta Botkins
  • Del Bigtree, CEO of Informed Consent Action Network and host of talk show “The Highwire with Del Bigtree,” speaks at a rally against vaccine mandates Nov. 1.

Collegian | Garrett Mogel
  • Bryan Ratcliffe designs a new collection of mountain-themed glassware Nov. 2. “I’ve been inspired by the ski and snow season coming,” Ratcliffe said. “I am an avid snowboarder and grew up racing; I enjoy winter and plan on riding a lot of backcountry up at Cameron Pass.”

Collegian | Milo Gladstein
  • Matt Smith, campus staff for Colorado State University Student Mobilization, dunks a basketball by the Clark Building Aug. 25. Smith works with students to develop leadership and friendship skills involved in faith.

Collegian | Tri Duong
  • Wes Kenney, professor and conductor at the Colorado State University School of Music, Theatre and Dance stands before his students Sept. 15. Kenney prepared his students for concert held in the Edna Rizley Griffin Concert Hall on Sept. 23. “It has been almost 20 months since we have performed in front of a live audience,” Kenney said. We are so excited. … It is who we are.”

Collegian | Garrett Mogel
  • Colorado State University mascot CAM the Ram high-fives a young fan during the volleyball game against the University of Colorado Boulder Sept. 18. The University of Colorado Boulder won 3-0.

Collegian | Michael Marquardt
  • Dylan Edmiston’s Mark I Iron Man suit sits in his home workshop moments before he straps in to pilot the exoskeleton Sept. 19. Edmiston designed and manufactured the suit himself.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • A preacher sings from the Bible while surrounded by students on The Plaza Sept. 8. “They have no understanding that, ultimately, what are the two commandments we have to have? Love thy God with all thy heart and all thy soul, and love thy neighbor,” said Shawn Bowie, a bystander.

Collegian | Grayson Reed
  • Cyclists pass through the crosswalk outside of the Lory Student Center between classes Sept. 3.

Collegian | Anna Tomka
  • Colorado State University setter Ciera Pritchard (11) serves the ball to the University of New Mexico Lobos Oct. 14. Colorado State swept New Mexico and won 3-0.

Collegian | Avery Coates
  • Ella Gross, a member of the Colorado State University Golden Poms, dances in a routine in Canvas Stadium during the football game against Boise State University Oct. 30. The Golden Poms used pink pompoms in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Collegian | Connor McHugh
  • Todd Centeio (7) calls a play before signaling the center to snap the ball during the football game against Boise State University in Canvas Stadium Oct. 30. Though Colorado State was leading in the first half, Boise State won the game 28-19.

Collegian | Connor McHugh
  • The Colorado State University Diversity House sits on South Shields Street Sept. 14.

Collegian | Lennon Brooks
  • A hiker at the Maxwell Natural Area passes a sign placed by the First Nations Right Relations Gathering for Hughes Land Back Aug. 22. Colorado State University planned to develop the Hughes land, but activists hoped the site could be used as a gathering place for Indigenous people.

Collegian | Ryan Schmidt
  • Elise Kulovany, shop manager at Colorado State University’s Costume Shop, helps fit Madelyn Caviness’ dance costume in the fitting room Oct. 24.

Collegian | Pratyoosh Kashyap

Reach The Collegian’s photo desk at photo@collegian.com or on Twitter @CSUCollegian.